What's my logical next step in headphones?
Jun 2, 2012 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ninjames

I get people telling me I say dumb things all day.
Hey guys, been coming here for a little while and let me start off by saying my wallet hates every single one of you. To my wallet, you're worse than any ex-girlfriend I've ever had - you're all sadistic succubi and, while my ears thank you, perhaps once or twice my stomach has hated you as well when I pass up on good food for good headphones.

My first pair of headphones that weren't crap were the Creative Aurvana Live!. They're the most comfortable headphones I've ever used and I use them for a lot of my normal listening. The sound is excellent and again, the comfort is top notch. After getting the CAL!, I jumped straight into the deep-end with IEMs by purchasing the Ultimate Ears TripleFi and I love them. After the CAL! I bought the V-Moda M80s and those are fantastic. I don't love heavy, heavy bass - I want it to be accurate, but the M80s have this punch that I love. The bass punches, the highs punch, it all is punchy, and that's the best way to describe that. 

I also own the Fischer Audio Oldskool 33 1/3, the Audio Technica AD700 for gaming, the Phillips Stretch headphones and the Sennheiser HD-25 I are on my list of "to get," along with the Brainwavz HM5 as I do want something more neutral at that price point. As far as earbuds, I also have the Thinksound TS01, Brainwavs Beta and Brainwavz M4.

I'm looking to upgrade - I'm not sure how much I want to spend, but I don't think I'm quite ready to spend $1000 on headphones. I'm thinking more around half that or a bit less. A bit more IF there's something that you think fits what I'm going for. As noted, I love the CAL!, but I do admit that the M80s sound much better. When I bought the M80s I was worried that the bass was going to be bloated, but it's not at all. Like I said there's a "punchy" quality there. I'm not sure how to define the difference between that punchiness and a deeper bass, but I do not want something overblown. I actually prefer a more neutral sound but with that punch still there in the highs and, yes, the lows. Does that make sense?

Anyway, can somebody recommend something for me based on all of that? I suppose I should say what my favorite genres are? It's actually hard to nail down - I love folk, and I love bluegrass. I like most of the indie music that comes out lately, but do listen to a fair bit of hip-hop and jazz. Classical is also something I listen to and every once in a blue moon I feel like rocking some folk metal, but yeah. My favorite bands are Cake and Marcy Playground, and my favorite hip-hop is Mos Def. So there's that.

Also, I have no amps at all. Sometimes that's rough on the Oldskool, but it's not bad or anything like that. I'll be looking into something in amps soonish, but I don't want to spend more than $150-$200 on amps .. I guess if there's something you'd like to rec that pairs particularly well, you can include that. Sidenote: when I finally make that jump to the $1000+ range, I will not be getting HD800s. I don't put things all on look at all, but I think those things are hideous and I just can't justify something I hate to look at costing that much. But I'm really not that picky.

So yeah. I rambled. Halp please?

Jun 2, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 15
what about hd600s and a woo audio wa6 amp?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/146611-REG/Sennheiser_HD_600_HD_600_Headphone.html

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa6.html

Jun 2, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:
what about hd600s and a woo audio wa6 amp?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/146611-REG/Sennheiser_HD_600_HD_600_Headphone.html

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa6.html

I am looking into the HD 600, but are there cheaper amps that will power it? I can't justify $1000 right now, like I said. That's way too much for an amp for me right now.

Jun 2, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 15
my suggestion: Grado 225 and an E10 amp/DAC for your computer. (that should improve the source over a built in sound card)

200 for the headphones. 80 for the amp/DAC. awesome sound for under 300 you say you like bluegrass and folk? you gotta try the Grados. 

if you want to stretch your budget within the grado line and want something with more mid bass for hip/hop and better overall technicalities, consider the PS500. amping requirements won’t be much more than what you can get from the E10.

You can get more neutral cans like the HD600 or the Hifiman HE-500 (this would be a real upgrade), but they have greater amping requirements which would push your budget closer to 1000.

Jun 2, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
my suggestion: Grado 225 and an E10 amp/DAC for your computer. (that should improve the source over a built in sound card)

200 for the headphones. 80 for the amp/DAC. awesome sound for under 300 you say you like bluegrass and folk? you gotta try the Grados. 

if you want to stretch your budget within the grado line and want something with more mid bass for hip/hop and better overall technicalities, consider the PS500. amping requirements won’t be much more than what you can get from the E10.

You can get more neutral cans like the HD600 or the Hifiman HE-500 (this would be a real upgrade), but they have greater amping requirements which would push your budget closer to 1000.

Are there any amps that are also portable that are worth getting and using with the computer on top of using them as portable?

I'm actually very glad you recommended Grado. I've really been wanting an excuse to get some. I think the PS500 are slightly out of my range. Say I wanted just a bit more than the 225. How are the 325i? Are the 225 really good for bluegrass and folk? I love my M80 but they don't compliment that genre well (of all, I'd have to say the Oldskool 33 1/3 sound the best with folk and bluegrass). I guess I'm asking if the 325i sound comparable to the 225 in signature, just better. EDIT: In other words, I'd rather not sacrifice how good it might sound for folk/bluegrass for something like hip-hop and rap, which sound great on the M80s, M4 and, surprisingly, the Phillips Stretch.

How does the PS500 compare to things like the HD600 or the HE-500? I really do want some Grados, though. I just don't know if I can move up to the $600 range for them unless they're worth it many times over. I've consistently been intrigued by 225 and 325 though.

Jun 2, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 15
I don’t have a ton of experience with portable amps but if you want something you can use both with a computer and with a portable player, try the Fiio E17 “Alpen". You get the additional DAC functionality with the computer and a good quality little amp while on the go. I think its 140 bucks. I’m not aware of other fully portable amps of similar pricing that are considered as good as the Alpen and include the DAC functionality for the PC.

I just had a 325 and I didn’t really like it compared to some wooded 225's that I owned. the 325 were too bright and shrill in comparison. So I got the 325's sent out for magnum driver upgrades (oh yeah, that’s another big recommendation from me. get a used v4 magnum for under $500 and you’re laughing at some of the higher priced grados. seriously, I’ve heard a lot of them). that’s why I suggested the PS500 as an upgrade from the 225 instead of the 325. another option is an RS2 (i think that’s 100 cheaper than the PS500) it’s a bit more mellow grado.

I can’t give you direct comparisons of the PS500 to the HD600 or HE-500. I owned an HF2 (similar to PS500) and enjoyed it a great deal - more than the HD600, when I had it briefly. But the HD600 is a better behaved headphone and more neutral. I, however, found it slightly boring. for some people that’s a good thing, as it doesn’t stand out in any one thing. But I’ve used other, more neutral headphones like the HD800 and HE-5LE and liked them. The HD600 didn’t do it for me.

I had the HE-5LE which sounded great but was so hard to drive. from all accounts, the HE-500 is similar to the HE-5LE, but even better and easier to drive. so, yeah, that one should be on your list at some point in the future when you can spend closer to a grand total as it does need some power from an amp.

edit: I should point out that I never listened to the HD650. some people like these more than the 600 as they’re a bit darker in character. those might also be a good choice. Oh, and I haven’t listened to any midrange cans from Beyer or Shure.

Jun 2, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
I don’t have a ton of experience with portable amps but if you want something you can use both with a computer and with a portable player, try the Fiio E17 “Alpen". You get the additional DAC functionality with the computer and a good quality little amp while on the go. I think its 140 bucks. I’m not aware of other fully portable amps of similar pricing that are considered as good as the Alpen and include the DAC functionality for the PC.

I just had a 325 and I didn’t really like it compared to some wooded 225's that I owned. the 325 were too bright and shrill in comparison. So I got the 325's sent out for magnum driver upgrades (oh yeah, that’s another big recommendation from me. get a used v4 magnum for under $500 and you’re laughing at some of the higher priced grados. seriously, I’ve heard a lot of them). that’s why I suggested the PS500 as an upgrade from the 225 instead of the 325. another option is an RS2 (i think that’s 100 cheaper than the PS500) it’s a bit more mellow grado.

I can’t give you direct comparisons of the PS500 to the HD600 or HE-500. I owned an HF2 (similar to PS500) and enjoyed it a great deal - more than the HD600, when I had it briefly. But the HD600 is a better behaved headphone and more neutral. I, however, found it slightly boring. for some people that’s a good thing, as it doesn’t stand out in any one thing. But I’ve used other, more neutral headphones like the HD800 and HE-5LE and liked them. The HD600 didn’t do it for me.

I had the HE-5LE which sounded great but was so hard to drive. from all accounts, the HE-500 is similar to the HE-5LE, but even better and easier to drive. so, yeah, that one should be on your list at some point in the future when you can spend closer to a grand total as it does need some power from an amp.

Definitely a lot to consider here. I may just look into the PS500. The HD600 are really the only higher end Sennheiser I had my eye on, because as I noted, I'm very vain when it comes to my headphones. I'll never sacrifice style for sound but I'll avoid something like the HD800 like the plague because I think it's an abomination. I've loved the look of some of the higher-end HE-500.

I'm not sure what you mean in regards to magnum. I haven't done much modding or anything like that and I don't actually know what that is. The thread is also huge and hard to understand. Is it getting new drivers? If that's the case, why spend $300 on the headphones? In regards to amps, is the Fiio E7 not a hot choice anymore, or is it just because it's been supplanted by the E17? is the E17 noticably better?

I do really like the look of the RS2. Wondering if it's worth that price or if there's something better at that range - again to emphasize things like folk and bluegrass.

Jun 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 15
I can quickly answer the magnum question. typically, you would buy a pair of 325i and send them to Symphones in Niagara Ontario who replaces the drivers with his own models that are neutral and sound really great. he also replaces the plastic sleeves the drivers sit in with aluminum sleeves. it’s a more refined Grado sound. this whole operation, if done with new 325 headphones and sending them to Symphones, is expensive.

however, fully completed Magnum headphones sell here used for relatively low prices (under $500 easily) compared to the their cost when built new. much lower than, say, Grado RS1 or PS500 do used, even though these sound quite excellent. so I consider them a good deal if you can get a fully built magnum used from the forums here or on audiogon, ebay, etc (some people have ordered just the drivers from Symphones and have made their own headphones with them, so you will also see a variety of DIY magnum headphones. those will vary more greatly in sound based on the driver sleeves and the cups. I can only comment on the sound of the regular magnums)

I can’t say if the E17 is much better than the E7 as I never owned the E17. some searches here will give you tons of reviews.

I liked an old RS2 pair I had last year but I liked the HF2 (which is similar to the PS500) more than the RS2 as it had deeper bass and was smoother with treble. still, the RS2 was a very good headphone.

Jun 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 15
Alright, well say I'm not going portable then - are there any amps that are on the cheaper side that aren't portable that would be suited for things like the HE-500, etc? I don't think I'm going to go the magnum route just yet - mostly because I don't want to buy used (I'd buy used amps, but probably not used headphones). I still might try the 225 with an E17 or something along those lines. I definitely want to pick up some Grados, I just don't think I can quite get to $600 right now if that's what I'm going for.

EDIT: You know, screw portable altogether. When I'm on the go, I prefer my M4 or TripleFi anyway. I don't need portable. I also am falling in love with the 225 as I read more and more about them. Seems a ton of people prefer them to the 325. I'm not sure it's an "upgrade" to the M80s though. That being said, is it really as good as you say for things like folk and bluegrass? I think I can look into the E10

Jun 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 15
you’re gonna need to search here for amps for the HE-500 to see what’s considered the cheapest one that will do the job. there’s a lot of choices for desktop amps around 150 to 300 bucks.

I don’t know if anything under 150 that would be considered acceptable to drive the HE-500. you could always ask in the HE-500 thread if you can’t find it through a search. But with the HE-500 at $700 new (~$500 used), the price will be close to a grand with any decent amp.

But the main reason I went with Grado as my recommendation is that, frankly, you don’t even need a dedicated amp to hear 80 to 90% of what the headphone can offer. you can get great sound for under 500 and put more of the money into the headphone and not the amp.

good luck!

Jun 2, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
you’re gonna need to search here for amps for the HE-500 to see what’s considered the cheapest one that will do the job. there’s a lot of choices for desktop amps around 150 to 300 bucks.

I don’t know if anything under 150 that would be considered acceptable to drive the HE-500. you could always ask in the HE-500 thread if you can’t find it through a search. But with the HE-500 at $700 new (~$500 used), the price will be close to a grand with any decent amp.

But the main reason I went with Grado as my recommendation is that, frankly, you don’t even need a dedicated amp to hear 80 to 90% of what the headphone can offer. you can get great sound for under 500 and put more of the money into the headphone and not the amp.

good luck!

Alright so lastly, using the criteria in the initial post ... something that makes the folk/bluegrass sound great, maybe with something of a punch .. Are the 225 worth that? I'm liking the idea of maybe spending another 200 right now and seeing if I want to get seriously addicted to Grado. Would you say the E10 is a good start for amping?

Jun 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
Alright so lastly, using the criteria in the initial post ... something that makes the folk/bluegrass sound great, maybe with something of a punch .. Are the 225 worth that? I

I think so, yes.  At least, based on who they make Alison Krauss and Union Station sound... I wouldn’t spend too much on Grado right away in case you don’t like their sound as much as I do. although if you buy from a place that has free returns, then it’s a low risk trial.

Quote:
Would you say the E10 is a good start for amping?

Sure. And it’s a pretty nice little DAC, too, so you get an overall improvement in sound quality over any on board sound card. 

Jun 2, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #13 of 15
i own a pair of grado sr225i
and lets just say they are still my most favorite headphone to date
i use them for computer, gaming, and everyday home use.

so i highly recommend them

EDIT: also, try to get a pair of flats and do the quarter mod, people tend to prefer this over the bowls it comes with

Jun 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #14 of 15
Out of curiosity, which other headphones have you owned? 
Quote:
i own a pair of grado sr225i
and lets just say they are still my most favorite headphone to date
i use them for computer, gaming, and everyday home use.
so i highly recommend them
EDIT: also, try to get a pair of flats and do the quarter mod, people tend to prefer this over the bowls it comes with

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Definitely a lot to consider here. I may just look into the PS500. The HD600 are really the only higher end Sennheiser I had my eye on, because as I noted, I'm very vain when it comes to my headphones. I'll never sacrifice style for sound but I'll avoid something like the HD800 like the plague because I think it's an abomination. I've loved the look of some of the higher-end HE-500.

I'm not sure what you mean in regards to magnum. I haven't done much modding or anything like that and I don't actually know what that is. The thread is also huge and hard to understand. Is it getting new drivers? If that's the case, why spend $300 on the headphones? In regards to amps, is the Fiio E7 not a hot choice anymore, or is it just because it's been supplanted by the E17? is the E17 noticably better?

I do really like the look of the RS2. Wondering if it's worth that price or if there's something better at that range - again to emphasize things like folk and bluegrass.

i know nothing of other fiio amps because the only amp i have is fiio e17 but i like it a lot and i dont see myself wanting to "downgrade" to other fiio portable amps. and im using beyerdynamic dt990 pro 250 ohms at home and it sounds nice, i dont use it on the go though because its open back. if you want a home headphone in the 200 dollars range, ill feel comfortable suggesting it because it does have enough bass for hip hop and the midrange is good for all genres of music i listen to. i think its basically a solid allrounder in the 200 dollars range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back