What's Most important in a Portable amp?
Jun 16, 2007 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
It's a basic question, what do you think is the most important aspect of having a portable amp?

there are arguments to be made on both sides of this debate.... and I'm starting to wonder.... I already have it down between two portable amps... so this is really a theoretical debate.

why battery:
The fact of the matter is that I do all my 'serious' music listening on my big home system, in fact, I've never heard a portable rig that I would even consider to be "audiophile" quality, just decent. I would like to use IEMS (most likely triple fi 10), but most of the time I"m more likely to use the KSC75.

More than that battery is actually important. I spent 12 hours on a train a week ago and was begging my Ipod to last a little longer... it didn't. Beyond that, it's a hassle to have to re-load/recharge every day.

Why Sound Quality
It's the head-fi way. I'm a head-fier right? even a "headphone supremus," so why would I skimp on what I'm suppose to care most about? big power allows me to take the HD650 to campus if I like, it would allow me to use it as a desktop amp whenever I don't want to turn the temperature up 4 degrees by turning the zana deux on.

Beyond that, it actually makes sense. I mean, why would I buy a portable amp if it's not for great sound quality (something that the amp from my DAP doesn't provide)? for show?... no, SQ is the only driver for this... Several weeks ago i stopped listening to my ipod precisely for this reason: because it didn't sound good anymore. If I'm to rescue my "portable" music system, I must do what I think will get it there... and take the SQ to a totally new level.

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 27
I choose my portable amplifier based on these aspects (most important at top):
  1. Portability (smaller is better)
  2. Sound quality
  3. Build quality
  4. Battery time
  5. Price

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 27
Price, then convenience, then SQ. If you're main focus is on SQ, just focus on a home setup
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 27
SQ, clearly.

Luckily, if you buy RSA you get it all!

Jun 16, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 27
Sound quality for me. My ideal portable would probably be most folks' transportable, though. Eventually, I'll get another portable/transportable setup.

As for battery life, longer the better, but my iPod only lasts for 12 hours at most, anyways.

Jun 16, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 27
If an amp is designed to be portable, then SQ logically follows as a secondary factor, right?

That said, you can make battery life the most important factor, but battery life depends on how the battery is implemented. If it runs on AA, AAA, or 9V, you can carry a spare. If lithium-ion, does it really matter if it lasts just about as long as your DAP? Most DAPs top out at 20 hours.

Jun 17, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If an amp is designed to be portable, then SQ logically follows as a secondary factor, right?

That said, you can make battery life the most important factor, but battery life depends on how the battery is implemented. If it runs on AA, AAA, or 9V, you can carry a spare. If lithium-ion, does it really matter if it lasts just about as long as your DAP? Most DAPs top out at 20 hours.

I can see if you are going on a long trip (a week or more) where having an amp with a long battery life would be better over one with say a 20 hour battery life. Why? because it will save you having to carry two chargers.
icon10.gif

Jun 17, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #10 of 27
Sound quality rules supreme.

Jun 17, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #11 of 27
Your question and options have a conflict that corrupts the validity of the responses.

"What's Most important in a Portable amp?"

One could say that portability is:

1) already achieved in order to qualify as a "portable" amp

or

2) Of the highest importance since the main adjective in your question is "portability".

Flame retired.

We all want the best SQ possible in our audio equipment but look for size/battery life/durability in equipment intended to be portable.

Jun 17, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #12 of 27
Basically it needs to be awesome. That's all I require.

Jun 17, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #14 of 27
SQ and protability! Wait a second! I want more battery life too. Hell!! I want all! That's why I am a headfier!!!
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #15 of 27
It depends, I would choose a specific amp for the situation I imagine it to be used. For instance I have a nano I like to slip into my tight jeans pocket and so a SuperMicro is great because it's tiny and can just hang out. But eventually I'll have a huge 80gb iMod iPod (compared to the nano) so size isn't an issue and I'll probably go for a Hornet along with some beefy Grado's or Senn's. As for price I have to strike a balance between the priority of the amp and it's price and determine if it's worth it. Battery life comes in last, but the battery has to last me at least as long as I'll be using my iPod in a day which can vary greatly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back