What's matter? Can't they make decent size HD player anymore?
Dec 23, 2008 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

MadDog

500+ Head-Fier
Only decent size HD players I see are from Microsoft and Apple. When I say decent size I am referring to over 80GB, prerferrably over 120GB..

I am not sure about you but I am sick of all these flash players...

Please make me some decent HD players!! Sony, iRiver, Cowon, Sandisk, Samsung....you are being erased from my memory!!

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only decent size HD players I see are from Microsoft and Apple. When I say decent size I am referring to over 80GB, prerferrably over 120GB..

I am not sure about you but I am sick of all these flash players...

Please make me some decent HD players!! Sony, iRiver, Cowon, Sandisk, Samsung....you are being erased from my memory!!

I have to agree with you MadDog, I've been waiting a long time....problem is my music collection keeps getting bigger..lol..

Maybe they want to get away from HDD storage and we'll have to wait for the new type storage soon to come out.

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 26
I hope they are not waiting for SSD (solid state drive)..it would be real long time before SSD becomes a cost effective solution. Boy, if Sony comes out with 120GB player with decent size screen I'll try it our in a heart beat. Tired of having only two solutions from OS manufacturers.

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope they are not waiting for SSD (solid state drive)..it would be real long time before SSD becomes a cost effective solution. Boy, if Sony comes out with 120GB player with decent size screen I'll try it our in a heart beat. Tired of having only two solutions from OS manufacturers.

Yeah I know what you mean MadDog,

I think the problem is some people, including me, have a lot more music than 120gb, so for me it seems a 120gb player isn't much different than a 32gb player...you can't store all your music on either. I guess at least though you'd be able to put more of your favorite stuff. I've kinda given up on a very high capacity dap.

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 26
Well you have to think of the majority, most people dont have music collections that surpass 16gb (including me), so why should they make more storage which costs them more money to make and produce for a tiny minority? They wouldnt, so thats why they continue to produce flash based players with 16gigs thats cost effective, and they just add features to players like that, web browsing, games, ect , Large Hard Drive based players just dont cut it for maximum profitability for companys anymore.

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 26
Well, I'm sitting here with my new Archos 5, with 250 glorious flac-filled gigs. Still fine tuning the sound, and yes it's not the smallest unit, but does everything I need. Looking at getting a clip for more portable listing, and the really cool thing is I can load the clip FROM the Archos using internal drag and drop, no computer needed...

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #7 of 26
The largest 1.8" HDD right now is 240GB (the MK2431GAH), and that just came out. And this is a two platter, which means a larger sized DAP than the single platter that Apple/Microsoft currently offer. I also agree with Azazel90x that the demand for larger storage probably isn't high enough for the vendors to produce them. At least not in the audio player market.

If size / money isn't as much of an issue to you, there is the Archos 5 (up to 250GB) or the Archos 7 (up to 320GB). And since this uses a 2.5" drive, you could conceivably upgrade the HDD even further....

Dec 23, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 26
Most people do not even understand how it is possible to exceed 50gb. Many of my classmates do not even believe me when discussing our libraries and I chime in saying that I currently have over 160gb. With a large portion of the portable music market going to people who listen to 128mbps mp3s through $0.50-$10.00 headphones, manufactures have little reason to look into solutions over 100gb. After all, most people could not fill a 120gb ipod unless they specifically tried. Further, the majority of audiophile type people are looking into flash based alternatives for all of their obvious advantages over the mechanical hdd system. In all practicality, how much will a 32gb player affect your listening experience over a 120gb player. Even with lossless codecs, you can fit over 1000 songs on a 32gb player. Thats several days worth of listening material. The odds of you being away from a computer for that long considering that you will need several battery charges in there are slim to none. If you are one of those people who wants to take your music with you on vacation without your laptop, you can look into a flash system with expandable memory and bring your entire library with you.

Dec 23, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ASPIRE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm sitting here with my new Archos 5, with 250 glorious flac-filled gigs. Still fine tuning the sound, and yes it's not the smallest unit, but does everything I need. Looking at getting a clip for more portable listing, and the really cool thing is I can load the clip FROM the Archos using internal drag and drop, no computer needed...

That'd be amazing for trips w/o a laptop.

Dec 23, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 26
I mean 160GB of music....is quite a lot. I have maybe 1,100 or so songs and that's like 7.5GB. So let's say 160GB is like like 21,000 songs. That's a lot of songs.

To be fair, I can think some people can glean their collection down to something more reasonable presuming it's not all FLAC
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowon_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I know what you mean MadDog,

I think the problem is some people, including me, have a lot more music than 120gb, so for me it seems a 120gb player isn't much different than a 32gb player...you can't store all your music on either. I guess at least though you'd be able to put more of your favorite stuff. I've kinda given up on a very high capacity dap.

Archos 5 250gb. It's hella cash, but it's hella player.

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Archos 5 250gb. It's hella cash, but it's hella player.

Oh yeah I've thought about it Raez...but I'm so used to the Cowon sound that I just know I'd be disappointed in it...although for movies and stuff it be awesome.
smily_headphones1.gif

If Cowon, Sony or a Sandisk (that sounded like the clip) would come out with a huge amount of storage I probably would of had it by now.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Waveblade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean 160GB of music....is quite a lot. I have maybe 1,100 or so songs and that's like 7.5GB. So let's say 160GB is like like 21,000 songs. That's a lot of songs.

To be fair, I can think some people can glean their collection down to something more reasonable presuming it's not all FLAC
smily_headphones1.gif

So says the person with the small library. I listen to 128kbps on my iPod and that takes up 136GB. I've already deleted from my library the music I don't like. If I don't put music that I think is OK, but nothing special, I still don't get down to what fits on a 120GB player. That would be about the same as you eliminating 200 or so songs from your library.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #14 of 26
Well, like you said there's Apple and Microsoft and no one really stands a chance of competing against them. Both of them still have pretty high margins on their flash players, so that's where the money can be made.

Of course you say, why not a real high end player, and there's two pretty good reasons. First there's the current economic situation. Second, the target market for that type of product is very picky and if they screw up one thing they basically kill their success and so they wasted time and resources on developing a failed product.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #15 of 26
i think microsoft are so minor a player in the game it is not worth mentioning. sony, cowon, even meizu probably have bigger marketshare than microsoft in dap market.

microsoft can only be purchased in the usa and how many actually have zune compared to other companies.

darksword: nice catch on the market eating the thing alive. imod is probably about as good as it will ever get for audiophiles unless you consider netbooks and outboard dac's as competitors or dj equipment. but the market for those sort of sources consdering the escalating prices are absurdly small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back