What's like a Chord Mojo, but better?
Mar 2, 2022 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Todd R

Headphoneus Supremus
Owned the Mojo on more than one occasion and it's a great unit, but I'm wondering what else is out there in the same price range that has more resolution and clarity?
I like the small size and portability.
This is only used for Campfire Andromeda IEM's so a megawatt amp isn't necessary. Already have a Dragonfly Cobalt for travel so that's not in the running.
Thanks

Mar 3, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #4 of 26
If you only gonna use it with iems the iFi Gryphon its a better option than the Mojo, with iems and headphones the iFi iDSD Signature for $750 its hard to bet imo.

Mar 3, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 26
Many of these smaller iFi units have a usb A input. It looks like they are intended to be used with a phone or other portable device.
If connecting to a computer, I'm assuming some type of adapter is available?

Mar 3, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 26
Many of these smaller iFi units have a usb A input. It looks like they are intended to be used with a phone or other portable device.
If connecting to a computer, I'm assuming some type of adapter is available?
The Gryphon is USB type C and can connect to your PC with any standard cable. It comes with one.

Mar 4, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 26
Micro iDSD Black Label. I own both and love the Mojo and use it for portable, but the Black Label is just completely superior, in sound quality and with between the switches 12 different combinations of sound alteration (24 if you count polarity, I heard a difference but would rather stay the same).... The only possible way the Mojo is better for me is if you prioritize smooth and warm over everything else.

If I didn't own thousands (probably over 10k considering what is not pictured) in source gear, if I would have never gotten the itch for proper hi-fi gear and I heard the Black Label vs just about everything else I would probably have stopped buying more. It doesn't replace anything I have by any means sound quality wise, not even the mojo (considering size only, and again smaller, the Black Label is usable for portable but too big for my taste as long as I can afford the Mojo, others are OK with it) but for $ to performance it beats even the Monoprice 12249 which I would have consider one of the best dac/amp combos for $500 while still being made, and is soo much sound quality for so cheap, it gets closer to gear that is stepping it's foot into hi-fi than it should....

Again only way you prefer the Mojo if you absolutely at any cost prefer smoothness and warmth, the iFi BL has 12 different options via 3 switches 2x2x3 (bass boost on/off, 3D on/off, DAC mode switch - all respectively) and 24 if you count the polarity (2x) so there is a great chance you can set it to some sound you like.

bing chilling.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 26
Well, anyone who has a bottle of Angel's Envy must know what's good :relaxed:
it looks like the current product is the MICRO IDSD SIGNATURE which is close in price to the XDSD GRYPHON.
Wondering what the sound differences might be?

I did recently try the Pro iCan Signature which totally kicked the Cobalt and Mojo all over the place, but I did not prefer it to my current setup on over the ear phones. So it seems to me, that in the IEM field, something from iFi should do the trick.
I'm still wondering how to hook their product up to my computer when some of their products only have a USB A input port. Anyone know if they provide a suitable cable?

Mar 6, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 26
Sorry for the late reply, iFi has questionably (to me) been discontinuing a lot of products lately, you can find Black Labels on Ebay or the silver but the Black Label sounds better, the Black Label and Singature use the same hardware but different tuning, the Signature is apparently more analytical which confused me because the Black Label is plenty analytical.... Anyway I am not a fan of paying less for more, since the Signature comes with less buttons I feel it has less ability to tune it's sound to what you like, but it costs more.... lol So strongly suggest if you have the stomach to buy used to consider than and save even more $$$! New they do provide the proper male to female USB cord, and the one I got even had a male USB Type-B to female USB converter, no promise used unit comes with everything BUT I can't see someone using the male to female for anything else besides a short extension, you can also just use a male to female extension from Amazon, but in my experience it requires some shaving of plastic, not a lot, but some, so if you get one make sure it's plastic on the female connector end and not metal!

Sorry the field isn't great right now with new offers, Chord Mojo original discontinued, xDSD non gryphon discontinues, all but Micro iDSD Signature discontinued.... a lot of great products gone :frowning2:

Mar 6, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #10 of 26
The new Mojo 2 is definitely something to think about. It offers improvements in clarity, separation, and resolution over the original that quite frankly I'm surprised on. In my judgement the Mojo 2 will beat the iFi Black and I think it'd be quite hard to find anything within it's price point that can better it in overall dynamic range or transient response.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #11 of 26
Sorry for the late reply, iFi has questionably (to me) been discontinuing a lot of products lately, you can find Black Labels on Ebay or the silver but the Black Label sounds better, the Black Label and Singature use the same hardware but different tuning, the Signature is apparently more analytical which confused me because the Black Label is plenty analytical.... Anyway I am not a fan of paying less for more, since the Signature comes with less buttons I feel it has less ability to tune it's sound to what you like, but it costs more.... lol So strongly suggest if you have the stomach to buy used to consider than and save even more $$$! New they do provide the proper male to female USB cord, and the one I got even had a male USB Type-B to female USB converter, no promise used unit comes with everything BUT I can't see someone using the male to female for anything else besides a short extension, you can also just use a male to female extension from Amazon, but in my experience it requires some shaving of plastic, not a lot, but some, so if you get one make sure it's plastic on the female connector end and not metal!

Sorry the field isn't great right now with new offers, Chord Mojo original discontinued, xDSD non gryphon discontinues, all but Micro iDSD Signature discontinued.... a lot of great products gone :frowning2:
Thanks, I'm still considering what to do.
Honestly, I like less buttons!
Most of iFi's products seem too "gimmicky" with all the filters, eq's settings. etc. I'm one of those that doesn't use or believe in EQ. It either sounds right or it doesn't.
If not, move on to something that does.
Same applies with the new Mojo, too many settings which seem unnecessary.

Mar 7, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #12 of 26
Thanks, I'm still considering what to do.
Honestly, I like less buttons!
Most of iFi's products seem too "gimmicky" with all the filters, eq's settings. etc. I'm one of those that doesn't use or believe in EQ. It either sounds right or it doesn't.
If not, move on to something that does.
Same applies with the new Mojo, too many settings which seem unnecessary.
I can tell you what everything on the BL does, there is 3d which to me is a gimmick, hard to tell a difference, on the opposite hand there are people who love it and swear by it, there is also polarity, similar but "more subtle" iFi even notes it should sound the same, to me it does not, infact sometimes reverse polarity sounds better but I still don't touch it..... Now the DAC settings, are nice IMO, it basically decides how analytical vs smooth the amp gets, I am not sure I would say there are so much increases in music but it's VERY useful IMO for harsh music or movies, so that I do like and consider useful (note here I ALSO don't like EQ< but simply for the reason I like manual switches if I have to switch a headphone every time, I am a driver so for me that is actually fun, switching some PC program, I am also am somewhat of programmer lol.... maybe that is the reason not so much anymore, switching on PC is boring, lame and annoying, I know I can make it easy but I just don't like it....)

Anyway last one is bass switch, I actually love this, I also love bass, I don't want to EQ it in, and also for using my BL as a pre-amp for tubes super useful. Hardware EQ is a bit different than software, and IMO this is the best application it's 10db at 20Hz and goes down fast to around 250Hz, so it doesn't as much make huge difference to the initial punch but it very much improves the physicality of the bass.....

For me again, hate EQ, refuse to use it, consider many of the switches and setting on amp useless...

I do find a lot of utility and use from the DAC setting button (also this one doesn't feel gimmicky, like the 3D which does something besides what is label to fake something)

and I find a lot of utility with bass as I like it

I have to add in again, when using different headphones that DAC switch can be the difference between too much and not enough for the treble, the same can be said for the bass..... I really have to strongly voice my love of those two here, and that is why I will never sell the iFi Micro BL unless I have something that can do what it does in those 2 buttons!

The mojo's switches are beyond useless to me, but it's size is why I keep it, GOAT good sounding small amp.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 26

Hiya! Although our products feature lots of extras in form of digital and analog filters meant for different sound tailoring, all these extras are optional and can be disengaged, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 7, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #15 of 26
I think you will be very happy with the black label. I agree that it is hard to beat at that price and size. I don't walk around with it but I suppose if I was on a long flight it would be fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back