Whats is my next higher end choice
Nov 23, 2016 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

yoyojoe

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not currently looking for anything specifically right now just wondering what would be the next step in my headphones should be. I'll list what headphone I liked and didn't like a much. 

The headphones I've really enjoyed:
Ultrasone Edition 8 (favorite headphone I've ever tried and currently own)
AKG 240 MP sextette
Sony MDR F1

Pioneer HDJ 500 (only wear them when I'm walking around, and doing stuff)
panasonic hdj 900 (prefer these over the shure)
Shure SE 215

Headphones that I was not a fan of
Beyer DT 990 (600ohm)
AKG Q701
Sennheiser HD 650
Beyer Custom One Pro
AKG k550
Sennheiser HD 280
ZMF Vibro
Bose QC1 and 2, and 15
AKG k81dj
Audio Technica ES7
Grado GS1000
Audio Technica AD700
Audio Technica A900x
DT770 pro (80ohm)

JVC fx1100
Ultimate ears Triple Fi 10

There are some other headphones I'm in between on so I won't include them.
I was looking at the new ultrasone edition 8 EX, and the ultrasone tribute 7. Thoughts and Ideas of what I might like?

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 8
  I'm not currently looking for anything specifically right now just wondering what would be the next step in my headphones should be. I'll list what headphone I liked and didn't like a much. 

The headphones I've really enjoyed:
Ultrasone Edition 8 (favorite headphone I've ever tried and currently own)
AKG 240 MP sextette
Sony MDR F1

Pioneer HDJ 500 (only wear when I'm walking around, and doing stuff)
panasonic hdj 900 (prefer these over the shure)
Shure SE 215

Headphones that I was not a fan of
Beyer DT 990  
AKG Q701
Sennheiser HD 650
Beyer Custom One Pro
AKG k550
Sennheiser HD 280
ZMF Vibro
Audio Technica A900x
Bose QC1 and 2, and 15
AKG k81dj
Audio Technica ES7
Grado GS1000

JVC fx1100
Ultimate ears Triple Fi 10

There are some other headphones I'm in between on so I won't include them.
I was looking at the new ultrasone edition 8 EX, and the ultrasone tribute 7. Thought and Ideas of what I like?

What is it about the sextett that you like?

I ask specifically about that headphone cuz I own all three versions,and havent heard the other two you mentioned.

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 8
  Its been a long time since I owned them, but I remember them being fun cans. Not really sure that explains much

Well...heres what i can say...

theyre not what I would call neutral,very fwd midrange,esp guitars.

Theyre quite musical,some in this hobby call that PRaT,or as I like to call"foot tapping ability"

The headphones that you mentioned that you did not like that I have heard,HD650(too laid back+midbass hump)DT990(too bright)i didnt like either....

So based upon three headphones that we have in common,you can draw some conclusions....youre not fond of dark/laidback nor ultra bright Beyer SS.

Personally I'd get into planars(HiFiMan).Not that they sound like sextetts,but my he-500s are quite musical and i love them...assuming you have an amp to drive them.I exclude Audeze LCD line cuz you didnt like HD650s....but YMMV

If you want something similar to sextetts,get another pair,or you can try the non-X version of The AD2000s,similar in aggressiveness to the sextetts,faster,more mid bass,but not quite as musical. Unfortunately theyre not easy to find.

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #6 of 8
Would I like the HE-500s even though I'm not a fan of the Fostex T50RP, and I how similar to the AD700 is the AD2000 because I wasn't much of a fan of that either?

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 8
I have not heard either the Fostex nor the AD700 so I cannot comment.

IMO the HE-500 is a great all arounder headphone that does everything well,except for deep sub-bass extension,and even at that it isnt non existent.
The only issue with the HE-500 is people tend to under-power them.

There are a couple used pairs on the FST section right now for around 400.00

The AD2000s are quite hard to find,and TBH a very polarizing headphone.Many love them,many hate them.I suspect again that those that hate them werent driving them right.In fact when I first got them and plugged the into my Magni 2 Uber they sounded real bad,a very hollow empty sound.But when I plugged them into my vintage receiver they really blossomed!

I have gotten several private messages over the years asking if I was interested in selling them,which should tell you how hard they are to find,and my answer is always the same....never!

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 8
Im sure you have seen this thread,but it might help to go back and re-read what is said about the HE-500 vs. other headphones that you may have owned or heard.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared#user_HE500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back