What's inside a Boostaroo
Jan 30, 2006 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Dustin24

New Head-Fier
boostaroobottom.jpg

boostarootop.jpg

I don't know anything about this stuff but thought those of you who do might appreciate it.

Jan 31, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 27
Looks like some power supply caps, some input caps, some resistors maybe, some op-amps, some jacks, a switch, and the components to hookup some batteries.

Truly, an amplifier lays before us!
wink.gif

Can you take a better picture of the chips? I'm curious as to what they're using in these things to keep costs down so low.

Jan 31, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 27
The boostaroo consists of evil and heartlessness.

Jan 31, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 27
The old Boostaroo chip amps are Philips TDA7050's. Pretty bad specs, but it can run in balanced mode... They're 50 cents a pop, and all you need to make a working fixed gain amplifier from one of those is 3 volts, a power supply cap, two input resistors, two caps for output HPFs, and two jacks for input and output. It probably cost them about $1.00 of parts per channel to make.

Looking at this one though, they seem to have changed from an all-in-one TDA7050 to using regular op amps. Not surprising as the TDA7050 is now obsolete. Without the all-in-one nature of the TDA7050, they seem to have needed to do some design work too. And they've even added a voltage regulator.

Jan 31, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
I'm curious as to what they're using in these things to keep costs down so low.

mass production w/o the "standard DIY" parts.

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #9 of 27
pardon my naievity in asking the question but is using a Boostaroo in a portable situation preferable to using no amp at all, or would it simply degrade sound quality?

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosk
pardon my naievity in asking the question but is using a Boostaroo in a portable situation preferable to using no amp at all, or would it simply degrade sound quality?

I doubt it's any better than the typical circuitry in portable players... quite possibly worse than some. The main point of the Boostaroo is to save battery life and offer additional headphone outlets.

Feb 2, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #15 of 27
Oh, I recognize those parts.

See those little black caps? Those contain the souls of the damned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back