What's happened to by AT-A900s ? (pic)
May 30, 2004 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

one-eyed-xander

100+ Head-Fier
I bought these from audiocubes a few months back. They were pristine at the time. Now look at the crinkled plastic between the pads and the cups:

DSCN1508.jpg

Anyone else seen this? Or do I blame the kids?

May 30, 2004 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
That's normal in an HP-A900. It's from the heat welding process I imagine.

So you're saying that they would have come like this?

I honestly don't remember noticing this when I first got them.

May 30, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 16
My A900's came out of the box looking like that -- it's not very pretty, but I don't think it hurts anything.

May 30, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 16
Sure, the sound is the most important thing, but when u buy a NEW product u expect for it to come in a NEW like condition
rolleyes.gif
Does it have any other manufacturing flaws except this one?! Im thinking about buying a pair...
CHEERS

May 30, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 16
It's not really a "flaw".. it's a matter of how the earcups are made, they have *always* been like that. It doesn't get worse with time, and it varies from cup to cup.

It's not a manufacture defect of any sort, more of a design decision to not go with some other method that might have been better looking.

May 30, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 16
well it seems to be like a defect in the construction, maybe the package suffered some serious shaking while it was shipped? im 100% sure its not part of the original design.
CHEERS

May 30, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Hmm...My A900s had crinkles, but not nearly that many. What gives with A-T here?

as i recall, your a900 looked pretty much like the one in the pic. didn't seem like a major problem to me, i guess not to you either.

May 30, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkHead
well it seems to be like a defect in the construction, maybe the package suffered some serious shaking while it was shipped? im 100% sure its not part of the original design.
CHEERS

Once again, it is not a "defect". Every single A900 ever made looks like that to a certain degree, some more than others. It is a matter of "this is the method we can make the earcup and have the cost being met". Although by no means it is the perfect design, it is definitely the way they chose to build it.

May 30, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
as i recall, your a900 looked pretty much like the one in the pic. didn't seem like a major problem to me, i guess not to you either.

My A900 had its share of crinkles Ben, but not nearly as many as that. I still have pictures that I took from before I sold it, if people are really interested in a comparison.

Not that it bothered me a lot--no affect on sound (obviously) and so long as I knew it wouldn't be coming apart, I was o.k. with it. I just wonder why there is so much inconsistency between cans, not that its a crucial issue.

May 30, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #15 of 16
Last word on this subject:

It's a byproduct of the manufacturing process. The PVC pad is heat-welded to the PVC mounting lip, and during that process the PVC will crinkle because of the heat applied. How exactly it crinkles will not be precise.

It probably does take quite a lot of research (i.e. buying phones) to realise... so many of you will be ignorant (or like Monkhead, you may just be a newb grasshopper, requiring more knowledge) to the fact that not many manufacturers bother to make an asymmetric earcup, which A-T does. That requires an asymmetric earpad. That will mean that you have to devise a way of making earpads which aren't circular or a constant oval.

You'll be surprised how many manufacturers also find it just as difficult to make symmetrical oval and circular pads with any significant degree of precision. Given that problem, I'd say A-T's manufacturing isn't poor in any way at this budget level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back