What's Better With D5000?
Feb 23, 2010 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sektr

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide what amp/DAC to get for my D5000s, and I'm having trouble deciding which of my 2 options to go with.

I've narrowed it down to the HeadRoom Desktop Amp and the Audio-GD C2/DAC19 combo. Both are around $800 + shipping.

From what I understand, neither will drive headphones like the HD800 or T1 properly so if I ever end up going for something like that I will need to upgrade, but that both should do just fine with my D5000s.

From what I understand the C2/DAC19 is VERY neutral, even analytical and dry and times, whereas while the Desktop is very detailed it is warm and musical as well, which sounds like it'd pair well with the D5000s. Is this correct?

What would you guys go with?

Also, out of curiosity is the HeadRoom Ultra Desktop a LOT better than the standard Desktop, twice the price better?

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 5
Who says the Audio-gd C2 won't drive the HD800? Sure they will, just not balanced.
I haven't heard the C2, but the C-2C sounded very good with the D5000 and the HD800. Top of the line? Of course not, but for the price it's likely to be the best single ended desktop amp you'll find.

The top tier Audio-gd DACs are incredible. The DAC19 is like a junior Reference One so I'm sure it's very good. Everyone that owns one seems to be extremely happy with it. I would recommend going with the DAC19-DSP version if you want to get closer to the quality of the top tier models. I've heard the top Headroom DAC and amp models and they left me unimpressed.

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by sektr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I understand the C2/DAC19 is VERY neutral, even analytical and dry and times, whereas while the Desktop is very detailed it is warm and musical as well, which sounds like it'd pair well with the D5000s.

I have not hear either. So I don't know which would be better. But my P1 is on the warm side of neutral and pairs very nicely with the W5000. If either amp will give that musical presentation and you enjoy "musical" over "analytical" then that would be the amp to go for.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 5
I personally didn't try Denon cans with Audio-gd, but from what I read while I had Phoenix, D7000 pairs very well with Phoenix. I would expect the similar results with other Audio-gd amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back