whats better ....DAC or using Digital Optical out on Soundcard to AV Receiver ?
Apr 25, 2012 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

s8n

New Head-Fier
hi Head-Fi members ,  i need a little education on something what is going to give better Audio quality performance..........

Using a decent quality DAC

or

Using the Digital Optical out on a PC Sound Card to a Denon AV Receiver ?

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 5
It obviously depends on the gear compared, but I think using the Optical out ( digital ) and allowing the DAC inside the Denon to do the signal work will result in a very nice signal.  The Denon has a DAC in it which is probably decent enough.

If you already have the soundcard and Denon all you should need is the optical cable.  That is going to be less expensive than going out and finding a decent DAC with the outputs you want.

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
Hi Head-Fi members ,  i need a little education on something what is going to give better Audio quality performance..........
Using a decent quality DAC or Using the Digital Optical out on a PC Sound Card to a Denon AV Receiver ?

Denon seems to make nice sounding AV receivers, what model is it?
What sound card are you using?
What Is this setup for, music? movies? gaming?
You might even be able to run optical straight from the motherboard to the Denon.

Edit: Your using the Denon AV-2312?, nice $600 receiver.
Did you ever buy the Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card?

Does your motherboard or add-on graphics card have an HDMI output?

Apr 26, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 5
hi NA Blur and PurpleAngel ,  i have been researching and posted a Thread over at AVfourms and i am going to buy the Rega DAC (if all goes well) and hook it up to my Denon PMA-1500R also i want to get some decent Interconnects to tie it up.

Quote:

Music

Quote:

Currently im using a Denon PMA-1500R its purely a Analogue Amp ,  i was going to get the 2312 but im going to hold off as my PMA is still going strong.  I was almost going to get the 2312 for the Digital Ports and DAC but im intending to get a Rega DAC so i will be using the Analogue Outs on the Rega to my PMA.

Quote:

Ive been researching the last few days and i need a particular question i have answered before ordering it in from my usual PC store ,  as im going to get a Rega DAC things have changed a bit.  Im going to start a Thread at some point to get some info im my particular question before ordering the Asus in.

Quote:

not my current PC but my next PC i intend to get a GFX Card that can do HDMI out.

thanks to both of you for your questions and help me with this ,  im pretty sure i got it all sorted at this point..........Rega DAC + Decent Interconnects + Sennheiser HD650's (own) + Denon PMA-1500R (own).

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
hi NA Blur and PurpleAngel ,  i have been researching and posted a Thread over at AVfourms and i am going to buy the Rega DAC (if all goes well) and hook it up to my Denon PMA-1500R also i want to get some decent Interconnects to tie it up.
Quote:

Music
Quote:

Currently im using a Denon PMA-1500R its purely a Analogue Amp ,  i was going to get the 2312 but I'm going to hold off as my PMA is still going strong.  I was almost going to get the 2312 for the Digital Ports and DAC but im intending to get a Rega DAC so i will be using the Analogue Outs on the Rega to my PMA.

Quote:

I've been researching the last few days and i need a particular question i have answered before ordering it in from my usual PC store ,  as I'm going to get a Rega DAC things have changed a bit.  I'm going to start a Thread at some point to get some info I'm my particular question before ordering the Asus in.
Quote:

not my current PC but my next PC i intend to get a GFX Card that can do HDMI out.
thanks to both of you for your questions and help me with this ,  im pretty sure i got it all sorted at this point..........Rega DAC + Decent Interconnects + Sennheiser HD650's (own) + Denon PMA-1500R (own).

Personally I think your way over spending for a DAC ($1000?)
How about a nice Yamaha RX-A700 or A710 receiver, comes with good amplifiers, HDMI, Burr-Brown 192/24 DACs, Silent Cinema (surround sound for headphones).
You can use the digital optical out on the motherboard to connect to the Yamaha using digital optical cable.
Hopefully you use Foobar to play your music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back