What's Become of the Karma?
Jun 4, 2005 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

robman

New Head-Fier
A few days ago, I asked for advice about a DAP, and there was broad consensus that the Rio Karma is the best existing player for my needs (gapless playback being the clincher). Here's a twist, however: Rio officially discontinued the Karma in March. This leads me to two more questions:

(1) Why has the Karma been discontinued? Is Rio getting out of the HDD business, or are we in an anticipation-generating lull preceding the introduction of a new-and-improved "Karma 2"?

(2) If the latter, then what improvements might we expect over the original Karma? After all, the current Karma appeared in 2003--decades ago in computer-technology-development time.

Speculations, anyone?

Jun 4, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 14
Apparent successor out sometime in the fall.

As for improvements, we can only guess.

If you can find one cheaply, it's a very decent portable, even though the manufacturer has ended it's life.

Jun 4, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 14
It's the latter. From what I've gathered Rio Karma's successor will be the Rio Chroma.

Search for "chroma" in the portable audio search box.

Here's just one example thread info you'll get:

"1. Rio Karma -> Chroma: Based on sort-of-but-not-really official information, it'll be 30 gigs (probably Hitachi's new 'slim' drive), have a color screen, and be announced in August for a fall release date. You've probably seen the illustration , which is supposedly accrate (specs on that page are out of date). Note the recessed scroll wheel, which should appeal to the more clumsy among us."

Click on the illustration link for a photo. Looks much like a carbon with color screen.

Jun 4, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 14
gshan: that was a real prototype, but Rio scrapped it. UKRE over at Riov has been dropping some hints lately, so search his posts for some useful info.

Jun 4, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by robman
(1) Why has the Karma been discontinued? Is Rio getting out of the HDD business, or are we in an anticipation-generating lull preceding the introduction of a new-and-improved "Karma 2"?

(2) If the latter, then what improvements might we expect over the original Karma? After all, the current Karma appeared in 2003--decades ago in computer-technology-development time.

(3) Given that a new player will be coming out in a few months, would it be better to purchase a Karma now while they are becoming really cheap, or wait for a new product that no one really knows anything about?

Jun 4, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 14
priscilla1.jpg

The prices listed for the chroma were in the mid $300s, so if you want a cheap, great player, the karma is still the way to go.

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 14
Color screen
cooler looking interface
nicer EQ
plays both .shn and .flac
still gapless of course

plus, I've heard the new one will come with a monkey butler.

Jun 6, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
"1. Rio Karma -> Chroma: Based on sort-of-but-not-really official information, it'll be 30 gigs

The page says 20, are you sure it's 30?

I'm already over 20gigs of music (using 320kbps on all my stuff) and I can't, for the life of me, understand why so many of the players I'd get only go up to 20.

Jun 6, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #14 of 14
Thanks, all, for the feedback. At this point, I get the sense that we are in a lull in the technology cycle. I think I'll save my money for the time being and wait for the unveiling of a next-gen audiophile-oriented gapless/lossless/large HDD player, whether from Rio or someone else. If it turns out to be ridiculously expensive or poorly reviewed, the Karmas will still be around, at the very least on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back