what's an upgrade from a Havana dac?
Sep 23, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #32 of 37
More dacs I am considering

1. teddydac -- $1600 usd
  2. pdx level 1 w usb - $2930 usd
  3. Isabellina Pro dac  - $2500 usd (skylab piqued my interest with his review directly compared to the havana)

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the AE’s DAC was much better than the MHDT.

(but then he goes on to say the the havana/lyr combo is really awfully close the RWA)
Quote:​
I did do one last comparison, which also proved slightly troubling in its own way – I compared the AE to the MHDT Havana + Schiit Lyr.  The Havana + Lyr was really very, very good sounding with the LCD-2, and while not even close to as neutral as the AE, it was nonetheless very, very musically enjoying, and it’s $1,350 as a combo.  The AE is $3,950.  And while it was clearly better sounding, in that it was audibly more neutral and transparent, the Havana + Lyr is so good that it can and should give people pause in paying much more.  But such is the way in the wacky world of high-end audio – the returns are diminishing, but can be very meaningful - it all depends on your preferences and expectations.  I can appreciate the imrpvements that the AE offers over the MHDT/Schiit combo.  But for some, it may not be worth the difference.

I guess it's tough to beat a winner (the havana)...

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #33 of 37
Interesting that you have not included Audio-gd on your list....the teddydac and Audio-gd NFB-8 use the same Wolfson chips at the receiving end and for converting.

Quote:
More dacs I am considering

1. teddydac -- $1600 usd
  2. pdx level 1 w usb - $2930 usd
  3. Isabellina Pro dac  - $2500 usd (skylab piqued my interest with his review directly compared to the havana)

(but then he goes on to say the the havana/lyr combo is really awfully close the RWA)
Quote:​

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #34 of 37

Quote:
Interesting that you have not included Audio-gd on your list....

Audio-gd confuses me. In addition, I have no plans to go balanced. Is there an advantage to using a balanced dac with se cans and amp?

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #35 of 37

Quote:
Audio-gd confuses me. In addition, I have no plans to go balanced. Is there an advantage to using a balanced dac with se cans and amp?

Advantages is a subject that I will not venture into.....totally subjective[depends on the user].

No worries, you should be comfortable with your purchase, so continue to read and get a feel for the product you like best.

Sep 29, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #36 of 37
so what's up ljf?

Sep 29, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #37 of 37
burnt out - taking a break for now, other concerns. etc. Still interested in the Metrum... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back