What's after AL im716?
Jun 27, 2007 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kojebee

100+ Head-Fier
My Altec Lansing im716 isolators are damaged, so I am looking for replacements. I found them to be great! But, sometimes wished for a bit more bass whilst listening to house music and electronica. I didn't really like the bass boost on the pod.

So, with 200 hundred dollars max, what should I be looking for, that offers great isolation, good detail, good clarity but with a bit more bass, or are a bit more 'musical'?

I use a Rockbox'd iriver h140 and headphonia amp.

I listen equally to rock, pop, electronica and dance (house / garage etc).

Is there something out there for me?

Thanks for your suggestions

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 8
If you liked the iM716s then the Etymotic ER-4Ps would be a good choice. Pretty similar, but better in every way. Plus they fit your budget well and should be alright for your criteria if you like the Altec Lansings. Bass probably won't be quite up to par with what you are looking for, but it should be alright.

What exactly is broke on the ALs if you don't mind my asking, from my experience they were pretty easy to work on as far as fixing them goes.

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 8
anyways, the antec lensing agreement is over, Etymotic are going to start selling their own line of "gaming" headphones called edge acustics, heres is the site http://www.edgeacoustics.com/ ,
i actually hope they are like the Shure G series, which were the same headphones just with shorter leads and slightly cheaper,

well, for 200 bucks, super.fi 5 pro, futuresonics Atrio M5, the q-Jays,
the new shures SE series, it seems that unless you get the 530´s, their kind of worthless,

you might be able to find a pair of ER4 on ebay, but not sure,

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 8
Westone UM2. =] I used im716 at certain point, prefered UM2 when I used IEMs vastly.

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 8
Believe it or not, the im716s fell out of my bag (was in a rush to pack 'em away when getting out of the subway), and got trodden on. The left channel has died, and the casing has been crushed. I thought about buying new ones, but amazon don't ship to Korea, where I am residing now. Just looking for an upgrade, which falls into my budget.

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you liked the iM716s then the Etymotic ER-4Ps would be a good choice. Pretty similar, but better in every way. Plus they fit your budget well and should be alright for your criteria if you like the Altec Lansings. Bass probably won't be quite up to par with what you are looking for, but it should be alright.

The ER4P has substantially less bass than the iM716. I preferred the iM716 over the ER4P (or at least I thought the Altec was a much better value) to the result that I sold the Ety.

You might want to give the FutureSonics Atrio M5 a try.

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ER4P has substantially less bass than the iM716. I preferred the iM716 over the ER4P (or at least I thought the Altec was a much better value) to the result that I sold the Ety.

You might want to give the FutureSonics Atrio M5 a try.

I previously owned the xtreme Mac FS1 phones and thought they were terrible. Would the Atrio M5 provide me with a substantial improvement over the FS1s? I found the FS1s lacking in everything except bass.

The etys and atrios are both on ebay, within budget and with international shipping.

Can I wait for the q-jays?
icon10.gif
I really need something soon. Um2s may be out of my budget.

Decisions, decisions..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back