what's a step above the Fiio E9?
Apr 22, 2012 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

roosta

100+ Head-Fier
hi guys, 

just bought a pair of hd600 for cheap and now im looking for an amp for them. i currently have an iBasso D10 DAC/amp. ive been looking at the Fiio E9 for a while now, using my D10 as a DAC and the E9 as an amp, but ive seen a lot of people complaining about the SQ of the E9.

what is the next step up from an E9? 
should i use iBasso D10 + E9   ///or////   E9 + E10 and sell the D10?

i would prefer Solid State amps opposed to tube amps.

cheers!

Apr 23, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #2 of 17
Not sure what you're looking to spend, but you could take a look at the Schiit Asgard. I love mine, and I would think it would do fine driving your HD600. I don't have this combo though, so maybe someone who does can chime in.

Apr 23, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 17
O2 Reference amp  from JDS Labs. I owned an E9 before and find the O2 to be a better overall amp. The neutrality and transparency of the O2 is quite shocking to be honest. Plus its low impedance works better with my IEMs and Sensitive headphones. You can request for the low impedance mod to be implemented before shipping the item or you can easily do it yourself. Also you can opt to buy the O2 amp in pieces and assemble it yourself to save $50.00

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 17
Thanks for both the replies, very helpful. I live in the UK so getting the o2 or schiit would be difficult and/or expensive, but the o2 is significantly cheaper than I thought it was so it's not so bad. My diy skills are terrible so i would get a pre built one. The schiit is significantly more than I had wanted to pay so that one is out.

Is the o2 powerful enough for the Hd600? What warranty does it come with?

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 17
In the UK, the O2 is available pre-assembled from Epiphany Acoustics here. You can find information on shipping, warranty, etc. by following the links on the page. Pre-ordering the ODAC is now also possible.
The O2 has enough power for the HD600, which actually does not require that much power.

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 17
thankyou very much stv014 and also to lee730, you seem to have put me onto a winner. 
I'll give them a go through my iBasso first but i have a feeling its not going to have quite enough power to keep them snappy. that o2 does look tasty though.... 

any others i should consider? that O2 does sound perfect. whats the catch?

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 17
Maybe also consider the Audio-gd NFB-12.  It's a DAC/amp combo - but great form factor and features (the switchable filters are especially good), and I very much prefer it over my former E7/E9 combo.  I have the HD600 and (for me) it's a really nice pairing.  Best part is that it also drives my 600ohm Beyers with ease.

From what I've heard about the O2 though - as a straight amp, I think this would also be a great option for your Senns.

O2 may be more transparent - while the NFB-12 likely to be warmer and have more body (especially compared to E7/E9 whcih I found quite thin).

Just another option.

Apr 24, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 17
I've been very impressed with the O2 as well. I prefer it over my previous amp which cost $300 new. I have the hd580(identical drivers as the hd600). If you can get hold of a gamma1 DAC, it makes a great combo with the O2 for around $200. I have no idea what the ODAC is going to cost. I'm assuming that would be a great option, assuming it's within your budget.

Apr 24, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
thankyou very much stv014 and also to lee730, you seem to have put me onto a winner. 
I'll give them a go through my iBasso first but i have a feeling its not going to have quite enough power to keep them snappy. that o2 does look tasty though.... 

There's really no catch. The designer of the amp had some major issues (read up on it to find out) and he wanted to make a statement with his amp. Basically giving great value and performance without charging a massive premium. The O2 amp is very powerful and neutral. It will just give you what you feed it, allowing your headphones to show their true colors.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #10 of 17
O2 is just terrific. It's a very neutral/clean amp & will be only as good as your source.
I find the O2 & Spitfire pair really good.
Just go with it.

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 17
thanks guys, you have been a huge help. Ive fired off an email to the UK maker of the O2 to see when i can get one (I'm, moving house and with the 6 week lead time on them i have no idea where i will be) 

@oyster i think the spitfire is out of my budget, i really wanted one for under £120. Does anyone know of a DAC that has optical/coaxial +USB input that would match well with the O2?? im tempted to keep my iBasso D10 and use it just for the DAC part, but i was wondering if there was anything better?

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
thanks guys, you have been a huge help. Ive fired off an email to the UK maker of the O2 to see when i can get one (I'm, moving house and with the 6 week lead time on them i have no idea where i will be) 

@oyster i think the spitfire is out of my budget, i really wanted one for under £120. Does anyone know of a DAC that has optical/coaxial +USB input that would match well with the O2?? im tempted to keep my iBasso D10 and use it just for the DAC part, but i was wondering if there was anything better?

Ibasso will be releasing their Sabre DAC at some point and you may really find that to be a great value along with the O2.

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #13 of 17
I've been in the same boat as the op for some months. Had the chance to audition some gear, but most of the amps were over my budget.

A friends own the O2 and it sounds real good with denons, but i dont know how good it will match my sennhs. Do they have retailers in germany?  

Apr 26, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
Thankyou very much stv014 and also to lee730, you seem to have put me onto a winner. 

The designer of the O2 (Objective 2) tries to use less parts and more amp building know how when designing amps.

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #15 of 17
If you like a slight hint of smoothness in the treble range, the NFB5 is a pretty great step up from the E9 and considerably more powerful. It's a DAC + AMP though, so I dunno...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back