What's a simple and reliable Blu-Ray player for a few hundred dollars?
Jun 18, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #16 of 19
Howdy everyone,

I'm pretty much set on getting the Oppo BDP-80 by now. The chance of having a PS3 with a loud fan (it seems to vary from person to person, and model to model) is something I rather not risk, and the PS3 games are either too expensive, or don't impress me in the slightest. Plus, I plan to carry it between my dorm room and a big TV down the hall; I'd imagine it'd be easier to manage and set up.

Jun 18, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #17 of 19
I've been using the original PS3 mainly to play BluRay. I can hear the disc spin but its not very loud. Also, since it's using bluetooth you don't need a direct line of site for the remote, so you can tuck it away somewhere (I have mine under the dresser) and the noise isn't as noticeable. 

I also prefer the PS3 because you can download PS3 content like movie trailers, rent/buy from the PS3 store and you can use Netflix Instant Play. 

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #18 of 19
PS3 would be the best bet....just because there is frequent update you can do to it.... which is a must with bluray players i think.  also, it has a lot of other features that other players can't provide.

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #19 of 19
If you don't want to play games, the only downside to the Oppo would be the lack of Netflix. It's got an ethernet port and USB for updates and BD Live features, and a gig of memory. It's got fast load times, and is the best thing going for high quality picture and sound under $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back