Whats a modern single-driver (TOTL?) compliment to the Venerable ER-4SR?
Jun 23, 2021 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Larethio

500+ Head-Fier
RtCyNWiLF8KtJhgSKAxRVa.jpg

The ety Er-4 has been the only true permanent mainstay in my iem collection. But despite its hyper-realistic sound signature it has a fairly limited upper frequency extension (20hz-16khz) and an intimate soundstage.

Now I know their Single Balanced Armature design is the cause of both of these issues and I'd like to try a mid to high range Dynamic Driver that addresses both of these issues, if such one exists. I've read reviews of the Sennheiser IE800s and Dita Audio iems but those iems seem to warm sounding for me.

Ive always found the etys bass to be fantastic and not completely lacking like people say they do (with proper seal).

For the price the ER2SR were fantastic but still very limited. My source is an LG V30 running FLAC.

Jun 26, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 9
What specifically has you looking at single DD? What if anything have you heard other than the ER2SR, and what's your budget?

Jun 26, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 9
"You are looking extremely good for your age" - compliment courtesy of the Sennheiser IS300.

Jun 27, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 9
What specifically has you looking at single DD? What if anything have you heard other than the ER2SR, and what's your budget?
Well the main thing in my opinion is lack of any extension past ~16 khz (going of ety's specs) . A somewhat neutrally tuned DD with a much higher roll-off basically. The soundstage of the etys is intimate depth-wise but I wouldn't say to the level some people say. Same goes for the bass it has always struck me as fantastically clean and just enough.

$500 seems to be a good cut-off new as the warranty is always important IMO. The etys are VERY neutral though so a bit of coloration in sound is okay. But I won't limit myself to just DD if the tuning is good enough.

Jun 27, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 9
Much of my music is Alternative and progressive rock with percussive energy trailing past 20khz. I'm 23 and have tested my hearing for kicks, topping 18-20khz with sine sweeps

But what the etymotic does coverer frequency-wise is done amazingly for a single driver. But its presentation does need more depth.

I've considered the Hifiman RE-800, the EX-1000 even though its been discontinued, the Fiio FD5, and the campfire honeydew.

I'm not sure going totl level such as the Sennheiser ie900 or Dita Audio would be worth it though. I'm 23

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 9
I have searched for a similar replacement to the ER4XRs, but could not find it. I agree, the lack of upper frequency extension really limits the sound.

the best high frequency IEMs I've geard are hybrids, with either dedicated ultra-high frequency BAs, or ESTs. I've yet to find the holy grail single driver IEM, capable of producing properly-nourished bass and properly extended highs.

the search continues...

Jun 27, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #8 of 9
I have searched for a similar replacement to the ER4XRs, but could not find it. I agree, the lack of upper frequency extension really limits the sound.

the best high frequency IEMs I've geard are hybrids, with either dedicated ultra-high frequency BAs, or ESTs. I've yet to find the holy grail single driver IEM, capable of producing properly-nourished bass and properly extended highs.

the search continues...
I know right? Though i love the linearity of the ER-4 bass and that of the Er4xrs as well when I owned them.

They say the best crossover is no crossover so for a truly cohesive sound I usually jump for single drivers.

I remember reading a few reviews of diffuse-field tuned (or at least balanced sounding) DD iems but I don't remember the names of them. Idk what has come out in recent years in that regard.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #9 of 9
The AAW x TCA Project 4+2 will do everything you want and can run flat to bass heavy thanks to the swappable modules, but it's $750.

My go-to single DD recommendation is the Tanchjim Oxygen at just under $300. There was a pair in the classifieds not long ago for like $200. Plan to do some tip swapping to get the fit and sound you're looking for.

Less expensive, Moondrop Starfield isn't bad (and I hear good things about the even less expensive, newer Aria but haven't heard it).

You like Etymotic - maybe try a pair of ER2XR? If the ER2SR didn't have the bass you were looking for that may be the ticket, and hey, they are cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back