What's a Good Value Upgrade from the O2?
Jan 5, 2017 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gauchotodd

Head-Fier
I've been using the JDS Labs O2+ODAC with my HD700 and HE-560s, and have been pretty happy with all of these. I hope to upgrade to the HD800S and HE-1000 before too long, and would like some recommendations on a good performing and good value amp/DAC upgrade that would accommodate these well. I've been looking at the JDS Labs Element, but haven't found too much about how well it pairs with these cans or how it compares to other sub-$500 amps. All help is much appreciated!

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 11
The JDS Labs Element is only a USB Audio class 1 device. I would avoid it.

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html

Schiit's JOTUNHEIM is a bit more expensive but much more powerful and would drive the HD800S much better. especially with the balanced outputs. I think Audio GD's NFB-11 is also a better deal than the JDS Labs.

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 11
Does that really limit its performance, though? Or, do alternatives really provide a perceivable performance boost due to not having that throughput limit?

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 11
  I've been using the JDS Labs O2+ODAC with my HD700 and HE-560s, and have been pretty happy with all of these. I hope to upgrade to the HD800S and HE-1000 before too long, and would like some recommendations on a good performing and good value amp/DAC upgrade that would accommodate these well. I've been looking at the JDS Labs Element, but haven't found too much about how well it pairs with these cans or how it compares to other sub-$500 amps. All help is much appreciated!

Darkvoice 336Se tube headphone amplifier, $240.
Keep using the ODAC.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 11
At first glance, not really sold on the Darkvoice. Would like something with a balanced connection as well.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #7 of 11

If your O2-ODAC is configured for line output via the rear RCA, get the Meier Corda Jazz and just hook it up using the ODAC section. AFAIK, shipping is included in the prices listed on Meier's website.

At first glance, not really sold on the Darkvoice. Would like something with a balanced connection as well.

Jotunheim with the DAC module so the analogue signal would be balanced all the way through.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 11

So your planning on also getting a DAC  with balanced connections and headphones that use a balanced connection?

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #10 of 11
  The JDS Labs Element is only a USB Audio class 1 device. I would avoid it.

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html

Schiit's JOTUNHEIM is a bit more expensive but much more powerful and would drive the HD800S much better. especially with the balanced outputs. I think Audio GD's NFB-11 is also a better deal than the JDS Labs.

Perhaps you missed this earlier. The Jotunheim is perfect for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back