What's a good Tool album for a starter?
Aug 17, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #31 of 38
I can't understand why 10.000 days gets bashed? I most likely think it's their best album. Lateralus is a bit tiring and repetive, Aenima lacks edge and is just too laid back. 10.000 days has the best melodic vocals and really accessible tracks. Great mix beetween prog of Aenima and metal of Lateralus. 10.000 days may not be the best album for a diehard Tool fan, but for a new listener, I would definetly suggest it. 10.000 days and right in two are possibly the best tool tracks ever IMO.

It's absolutely NOT a flop of any sort. Most melodic and accessible Tool album yet, but still rewarding and having a lot of depth. Of course it doesn't go into extremes like Lateralus, but why should it? It's less gimmicks and more music.

Aug 17, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #34 of 38
Vicarious (from 10,000 days) is catchy! I've never listened to the entire album and I've had it for about a month now. I just hit repeat on Vicarious

Aug 17, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #35 of 38
Call me another fanatical fan, but I think that Tool deserves all of the credit they're given and then some. In an age where most (not all) of music has sold out, I believe that Tool keeps the spirit of bands like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin alive.

They write albums, not songs (singles). They manage to change, to evolve, from album to album while still retaining who they are.

As it goes for my take on which album to start on, I think it depends a lot on your normal tastes in music. As a general rule of thumb, I would say that the albums go from being more raw and heavy to being a little less heavy but more intricate and musical.

If I were to pick one that is a great starter without any input, I would say Undertow or Aenima - they represent the middle points of the "evolution" imo.

Once you've started to like them, spending an afternoon going from Opiate > Undertow > Aenima > (maybe Salival) > Lateralus > 10,000 Days is an afternoon well spent.

Aug 18, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #36 of 38
I find Aenema to be the easiest to get into and was also my entry to Tool. Start with the song Aenema especially.

Their peak is for me Lateralus. To me its their most refined album, not a bad song. Sure, Aenema do not have a bad song either but the average is better on Lateralus.

Undertow is more of a pre-album for me. Some of the stuff there is similar to their later albums but for me it's nothing special.

10'000 has been a really strange album for me. I have listened to it over a 100 times and I still can not get it. I have really put in an effort to get it. It's like they have softened and are much more forward musically. Sure, it is good. But it is not Lateralus 2 neither Aenema 2. More like Undertow 2 + soft parts of Lateralus.

To me it's like Aenema + Lateralus + 10'000 days are a trilogy. Where Aenema starts hard and fast, like biking over a steep hill. Lateralus is close to the peak and over the top. 10'000 days is the relaxed part of the long nearly flat slope down.

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr00000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Call me another fanatical fan, but I think that Tool deserves all of the credit they're given and then some. In an age where most (not all) of music has sold out, I believe that Tool keeps the spirit of bands like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin alive.

They write albums, not songs (singles). They manage to change, to evolve, from album to album while still retaining who they are.

As it goes for my take on which album to start on, I think it depends a lot on your normal tastes in music. As a general rule of thumb, I would say that the albums go from being more raw and heavy to being a little less heavy but more intricate and musical.

If I were to pick one that is a great starter without any input, I would say Undertow or Aenima - they represent the middle points of the "evolution" imo.

Once you've started to like them, spending an afternoon going from Opiate > Undertow > Aenima > (maybe Salival) > Lateralus > 10,000 Days is an afternoon well spent.

I'm very much with this guy... when compared to other bands of this time tool are undeniably deeper and more creative... some may say im wrong, but i guess i could say the same back. furthermore statements like "i find it hard to take them seriously as they have songs called 'hooker with a penis' and 'prison sex' are baltantly ignorant and superficial. but i guess its people like this that tool DO NOT make music for, or perhaps even protest against. you only have to listen to songs like reflection, lateralus and forty-six and 2 to get an idea of how lyrically deep, musically creative (particularly drumming and time signatures) and transcendental the band is, no matter your musical tastes or inclinations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back