What's a good soundcard for me?
May 3, 2004 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jaK

New Head-Fier
Hi, I will soon have a pair of Sennheiser HD570s which I will be using for gaming and listening to music on the computer ocasionally. Currently, I have the soundMAX onboard chip with my asus motherboard and I plan on purchasing a soundcard soon. My question is, what soundcard should I get? I had planned on getting the Audigy2 ZS. My primary concern is for gaming (imaging: basically I need to be able to tell where someone is while blindfolded), and music on the side as all I have for music on my computer are mp3's anyway and maybe a dvd-a disc. All suggestions welcome
wink.gif
I am a n00b here!

Thanks a lot!
600smile.gif

May 3, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaK
Hi, I will soon have a pair of Sennheiser HD570s which I will be using for gaming and ocasionaly music listening on the computer. Currently, I have the soundMAX onboard chip with my asus motherboard and I plan on purchasing a soundcard soon. My question is, what soundcard should I get? I had planned on getting the Audigy2 ZS. My primary concern is for gaming, and music on the side as all I have for music on my computer are mp3's anyway and maybe a dvd-a disc. All suggestions welcome
wink.gif
I am a n00b here!

Thanks a lot!
600smile.gif

A2 is the ticket for gaming.

May 3, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
A2 is the ticket for gaming.

Thanks,
smily_headphones1.gif
Oh, lol for a minute there I thought A2 was some crazy foreign soundcard :p Audigy2 it is then!
smily_headphones1.gif

Any complaints in sound quality for this card? THanks! I'll just be getting the cheapest one (ie. no platinum pro ex stuff)

May 3, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
Personally, I think any sound card is good enough for gaming imaging. Its all about unmolested stereo output
smily_headphones1.gif

I've wondered this also. If stereo is all that's needed, why would having an Audigy2 really matter? EAX isn't involved in stereo is it? And there's really no major difference in CPU hit in stereo? Correct me if I'm wrong.

May 3, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I've wondered this also. If stereo is all that's needed, why would having an Audigy2 really matter? EAX isn't involved in stereo is it? And there's really no major difference in CPU hit in stereo? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hmm, so basically, all I would need is my onboard for stereo gaming?
redface.gif
I guess I'll have to test it! weeee!
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 13
Well, EAX does improve ambiant sound, and the hardware accleration of A2 helps reduce load on CPU. BUT if the onboard audio is causing your games to run too slowly, then a CPU/Video card upgrade will be much more useful for performance.

As for pinpointing sounds, I think experience is the key factor
wink.gif

May 3, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 13
What headphone and kind of computer/video card do you have anyway?

May 3, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
What headphone and kind of computer/video card do you have anyway?

P4 2.53 @ 2.77 (zalman quiet heat sink/fan)
512 kingston hyperx ddr433
Asus P4PE mobo
ATi Radeon 9800pro
for sound I use plantronics DSP-500 usb headsets

The dsp500s work so well in counter strike that I can precisely shoot an enemy through a wall when he makes a sound (ie. flick their knife out, or even the slight buzz when someone switches to a grenade and back). Basically that is what I am after with my new headphone/soundcard combo
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't play counter strike competitively anymore though
frown.gif
Just unreal tournament 2004 now
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, does EAX actually help for headphone users? Some people say it's only good for surround sound speaker setups. Others say that when using EAX with headphone it gives the sensation that they are underwater and all the sounds are happening behind them.
confused.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
THANKS!

May 3, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #11 of 13
There is also the issues of compatibility and stability.

The Audigy 2 is unfortunately one of the only tickets in town for high performance gaming, because is is the benchmark (for better or for worse) for programmers for gaming.

Having a lot of problems with weird and nasty audio problems with SB Live! prompted me (and many many others) to ditch it in favor of another card.

-Ed

May 3, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #12 of 13
If gaming is on the agenda there is no other choice than the A2. Whether you will like EAX isn't important -- the other cards will still have prohibitive cpu usage in DirectSound3D.

May 3, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SumB
If gaming is on the agenda there is no other choice than the A2. Whether you will like EAX isn't important -- the other cards will still have prohibitive cpu usage in DirectSound3D.

ok, excellent
smily_headphones1.gif

I like it when I don't have to make a big choice between purchasing different items.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
smily_headphones1.gif
Greatly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back