What's a good replacement cable for AKG 81DJ?
May 31, 2008 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Gouki

Head-Fier
My AKGs are great except I accidentally overextended the wires when I tripped over it.

I would like to know what's a good replacement cable and plug for it as I've seen a couple of people doing it to their AKGs. I'm not looking at high end stuff, just something to replace the old ones.

Thanks!

Edited : Sorry I meant AKG K518DJ which I hear is a lot different to the 81DJ. I'm also looking for any recommendations on headphone/cable shops in London.

Jun 5, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 5
Do you still have the warranty, which is normally 2 years. If yes, send it to the seller you bought from it or just buy another phones, like ATH ES7.

Jun 5, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 5
If you're cheap, use ethernet cable. If you want middle line performance, look for copper cables. If you want to spend more, look for silver cables. If you want higher then that, there are cables you can buy from Stephen Audioarts or ALO or something you can solder on. The 518DJs isn't a lot different than the 81DJs, just take the ear cushion off, undo the screws, open the casing, find where the cable leads are, and desolder and resolder with a new cable. If you need to know how to solder on a plug, then go to the DIY section of headfi, and read the interconnect sticky. Last solution is find where the wire broke and just cut that section off and resolder it...the cable was long in the first place anyways IMO.

Jun 5, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks guys. My phones are still under warranty but probably not for long as I got it in 2006. ATH ES7? I remembered that one, its ok but not as good as the AKG in my opinion.

Meloncoly, thanks for that. I'm not familiar with cabling or altering my phones as I'm not a modder though I am hoping to find someone locally to help. I'm guessing that I should look for copper replacements though I didn't know you could use a network cable to do the job! I don't really want to spend on a cable that's worth more than the phones :)

There was a picture of an 81DJ with modded cables which I really liked (cables looked thick and durable). I posted a message to the modder but haven't heard from him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back