What's a good portable cd player?
Jan 17, 2008 at 6:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AgainstTheGrain

500+ Head-Fier
does it matter or will any cd player do? i'm only interested in portable. i really like the sound of cds compared to mp3s. i used 320kbps but that's not enough. lossless takes up too much space on my computer and i'm not sure where to find the files anyways. so ima just stick to old fashioned cds. any suggestions for a good one?

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 10
coincidentally i found my pcdp in my basement tonight while digging for old cd's. the model is panasonic sl-ct570 which i used for quite a long time before getting a rio karma. for the hell of it i popped in a disc and started listening through the line out, an amp and etys and damn this sounds much better than a friggin' ipod, even with 320kbps aac files. difference is an increase in bass authority and detail while being cleaner sounding overall. i take it the output stage for mp3 players are pretty pathetic to save on battery life... i also had a sony d-25 pcdp which sounded even better than the panasonic but it was heavy as hell and wasnt really portable.

i tell you what though, i am never carrying around cd's again even though the old school way sounds a whole lot better, hell a portable pro cassette player recorded from vinyl is another step up. the only time i even use the portable amp is when i travel. on the go, just a dap and a set of fones for me...

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
coincidentally i found my pcdp in my basement tonight while digging for old cd's. the model is panasonic sl-ct570 which i used for quite a long time before getting a rio karma. for the hell of it i popped in a disc and started listening through the line out, an amp and etys and damn this sounds much better than a friggin' ipod, even with 320kbps aac files. difference is an increase in bass authority and detail while being cleaner sounding overall. i take it the output stage for mp3 players are pretty pathetic to save on battery life... i also had a sony d-25 pcdp which sounded even better than the panasonic but it was heavy as hell and wasnt really portable.

i tell you what though, i am never carrying around cd's again even though the old school way sounds a whole lot better, hell a portable pro cassette player recorded from vinyl is another step up. the only time i even use the portable amp is when i travel. on the go, just a dap and a set of fones for me...

nah i'm using the cd player at home but i don't want a dedicated cd player. no enough space. how do u connect the phones or amp to the line out? don;t u have to use the headphone jack?

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does it matter or will any cd player do? i'm only interested in portable. i really like the sound of cds compared to mp3s. i used 320kbps but that's not enough. lossless takes up too much space on my computer and i'm not sure where to find the files anyways. so ima just stick to old fashioned cds. any suggestions for a good one?

I'm with you on this one. I got 60GB iPod for long trips where it's not logical to tote 100+ discs, but at work I use a Sony "Car Ready" D-E406CK Discman, circa 1998 into a SR-71. These "Car Ready" models tend to have a true line-out because you mostly used them with one of those fake "cassettes" that you put into your car cassette player. (Oh lord, the memories!)

I don't figure those "Car Ready" models are too prevalent any longer, but you might be able to find a used one somewhere. My ex-wife recently won a new Discman at work and it only had a headphone jack. I love mine. The Discman /SR-71/Ety combo is quiet wonderful.

It may actually sound horrible, but I've nothing to compare it to.

If you've never had filet mignon, frozen salisbury steak is really quite good.

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardHeadCase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ALOaudio - Audio Line Out: Interconnect cables and portable line out docks for iPod

Just what you need!

Very cool. Those old Sony ones are by far and away the best portable cd players with fully metal trasports which put most modern full sized players to shame. Look out for one which has optical output like the D(Z)555 then you'll have one of the best CD sized transports ever made.

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardHeadCase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ALOaudio - Audio Line Out: Interconnect cables and portable line out docks for iPod

Just what you need!

that might be a lil out of my price range. my limit is $100 for a cd player the main reason is cuz i have to buy cds now which means i'ma have to shell out mad dough on those alone.

funny thing is i remember that cd player back in the day. thing was like no more then what... $50 back then? i was a lil kid no more then like 4 or 5 but i remember those.

Jan 18, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that might be a lil out of my price range. my limit is $100 for a cd player the main reason is cuz i have to buy cds now which means i'ma have to shell out mad dough on those alone.

funny thing is i remember that cd player back in the day. thing was like no more then what... $50 back then? i was a lil kid no more then like 4 or 5 but i remember those.

That particular one was a top of the range model so it would have been hundreds of dollars back then. 1989 was when CD players were still really expensive per se although there was an entry level one called the D-20 which looked quite similar but it was plastic rather than metal and slightly fatter.
250 is very reasonable considering its a mint boxed example and they can go for more on ebay.
If it's too much then look on ebay for a Technics or Philips from that period as they arn't so sought after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back