What's a good mild set of cans
Sep 3, 2004 at 6:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Puddleglum

100+ Head-Fier
I've decided that I should have two pairs of headphones. One for Rock, which is approximately 60% of my music listening, and another pair for everything else (music in the mid-range games, and movies). Because I can't think of a better word, mild will have to do. I don't want too much base, I want the mids to be excellent though.

I know I want the SR225's for rock music, but what's a good headphone for the other stuff? I was thinking of three different headphones, the Beyerdynamic DT250-80's, the AKG K501's, or the Sennheiser HD580's. There all in my price range, and I've good things about all, but I don't really have the means or the time to try all of them out on my own. Which of the three would be best.

Sep 3, 2004 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 6
The HD595's go great with any other music besides rock/electronic (not saying that they are bad with rock/electronic but the SR225 can out preform it in those categories because of the Grado house sound).

Sep 3, 2004 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by refault
The HD595's go great with any other music besides rock/electronic (not saying that they are bad with rock/electronic but the SR225 can out preform it in those categories because of the Grado house sound).

How does the "Grado house sound" make the SR225s better than the HD 595s for electronic music?

Sep 3, 2004 at 7:43 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by nierika
How does the "Grado house sound" make the SR225s better than the HD 595s for electronic music?

Punchier bass and more lively. (this is with flat pads)

Sep 3, 2004 at 8:15 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by refault
Punchier bass and more lively. (this is with flat pads)

Punchier bass meaning faster? There are more qualities of bass than "punch" (including frequency response). And what is the definition of "lively?" Personally, if I'm listening to bassy/aggressive music, I don't need my headphones "livening" up music that's lively enough on it's own. My point is you can't make blanket statements like "this headphone out performs this other headphone playing this genre of music" because 2 people who are listening to the same kind of music might have 2 very different sonic preferences.

Sep 3, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by nierika
Punchier bass meaning faster? There are more qualities of bass than "punch" (including frequency response). And what is the definition of "lively?" Personally, if I'm listening to bassy/aggressive music, I don't need my headphones "livening" up music that's lively enough on it's own. My point is you can't make blanket statements like "this headphone out performs this other headphone playing this genre of music" because 2 people who are listening to the same kind of music might have 2 very different sonic preferences.

In his defence everything in our posts are our opinions so we can say what we like, just forgetting to add IMO all the time doesn't mean arrogance.
wink.gif

BTW mate I reckon the dt250s are your best bet for less bassy phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back