What's a good "known" not too expensive quality stereo cable with not so thick plugs
Jan 30, 2012 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

RPGWiZaRD

Headphoneus Supremus
EDIT: Short version because not all people fancy reading a wall of text for a simple matter: looking for a good quality 1.2 - 3.0 m 3.5mm stereo cable for my M-Q40 with not too thick plugs as well as 3.5mm stereo cable to go between the amp & source, 2.5 ~ 4.0 m or so. Price preferably below $20 (arguable). Thanks in advance.

Longer version (for those who don't mind wall of text on a simple matter)

I'm looking to replace M-Audio Q40's standard cable (it's using standard 3.5mm stereo connector) with something better and may also buy one to go between the amp and source at the same time. Since there's such a trillion of different stereo cables around and a whole lot are very lowcost that may come from china and cost like $0.20 to produce despite being sold for like $10 where working conditions for the employees may not be the very best etc I hope you understand my concern why I don't want to buy one of those. Therefore I'd highly appriciate if you know of any good suggestions or where to look. I'm actually from europe but many cables are sold all over the globe though. For the headphone anything from like 1.2 m to 3.0 m probably goes but between the amp and source would need to be around 3 m (2.5 ~ 4 m preferable).

I do believe in cables doing a difference to sound as I can hear it with my own ears but I'm not one of those that fancy paying $100 for a cable though, was looking more like sub-$20 range or so. Any ideas?

I can add I already tested M-Audio Q40 with a pair of cable that looks like those coming with for example FiiO portable amps, like very thin 50 cm stereo cable and compared to the stock one this one sounded A WHOLE LOT better already, the biggest difference was in the soundstage, the stereo imaging and separation and everything improved bigtime but it also added slightly better transparency and more resolution and airier sounding highs. I'm mostly just interested in getting soundstage improvement compared to the stock cable cuz seriously wow I can't believe how M-Audio uses a cable that crams together the soundstage so much. There's also another funny reason why I'm looking for a new cable, I have an issue with the stock cable connector's base "ring" isn't standard sized and the jacks on the amp is like 0.5mm lowered-in and this seems to cause some compatibility issues in form of "shock-therapy" to my right ear to put it short.  

Thanks.

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 4
Have a look at cablemountain.com
I have bought from there personally and their stuff is of decent quality (properly shielded cables ect).

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Have a look at cablemountain.com
I have bought from there personally and their stuff is of decent quality (properly shielded cables ect).

Nice, looks like a good place to have a look. :p

EDIT: Seems the tips might be too big but it's difficult to say from the picture, the M-Audio Q40 has screw-on jack so it would have to fit inside that. Basicly can't be much thicker than those "standard" bundled amp cable. 

EDIT: Seems like the plug has to be about 6.3mm or less in diameter

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #4 of 4
I found a good option, V-Moda's cable which is even Kevlar reinforced and have the small "ring" at the base and the plugs themselves are very small so it will be fully compatible with all devices including the ZO2 amp. Too bad the there's only purple color available on their site atm and I hate purple color haha.

I got the V-Moda Crossfade LP2 so could use that cable if I just wouldn't have it up for sale though... but yea this cable seems great, fit is perfect with the headphones and amp.

EDIT: On a 2nd thought I don't quite like how the cable rubbing against the clothes produce very audible sound as it's kevlar and not so smooth and the Q40 headphones are constructed to really pick up all noises easily from cables hitting/rubbing onto something like it would work like a microphone almost. The highs are also quite a bit more muted with this cable vs the other short thin cable, have to boost the 16kHz slider at least one step with this cable haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back