What's a good full size basshead headphone ?
Nov 10, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #17 of 19
I also have the CAL!2 ... my budget is $150 CDN and lower..
Okay you can get there if you modded a Fostex T50RP I can give you what I did and it is kinda V shape. The bass is super heavy and it's really good, basically you would be dampening with clays and Dynamat extreme(not too much just around the driver in small places. clay gets spread on the cup. open one port on the rear of the cup. then uses good amount of polly fill inside. hardest part is getting the right amount of polly fill to were the driver does not bottom out when big bass hits. I got pics I can share to build.

headphones $159
materials 30-50 bucks
need computer screw driver for the four small screws.

The T50RP likes 2 watts at 50 ohms

This is the only real option in that price or hope to find a used headphone but cheapest used maybe $250

Nov 10, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #18 of 19
Okay you can get there if you modded a Fostex T50RP I can give you what I did and it is kinda V shape. The bass is super heavy and it's really good, basically you would be dampening with clays and Dynamat extreme(not too much just around the driver in small places. clay gets spread on the cup. open one port on the rear of the cup. then uses good amount of polly fill inside. hardest part is getting the right amount of polly fill to were the driver does not bottom out when big bass hits. I got pics I can share to build.

headphones $159
materials 30-50 bucks
need computer screw driver for the four small screws.

The T50RP likes 2 watts at 50 ohms

This is the only real option in that price or hope to find a used headphone but cheapest used maybe $250
Realistically, an amplifier would also need to be factored into that equation.
They're not the most sensitive headphones, especially after some modifications.

That's just one of the reasons I normally leave T50RP mods out of recommendations.

Nov 10, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #19 of 19
I also have the CAL!2 ... my budget is $150 CDN and lower..
I'd also recommend the DT770 with stock silver pads. I use the MMX300 Gen1 with the DT770 pads and they really sound great. They're 32 ohm so an amp has lots of room to compensate for preamp reduction. I would avoid the leather/pleather pads, they really ruin the treble response (I have a box of DT series pads which I call my "mental hall of regrets", most didn't work out). The brainwavez micro suede was so comfortable, but they take a while leaving them on some books to squish them, so they don't sound as boomy (they're 30mm thick instead of 20-22 for stock). The memory foam on them always seals well though, which helps with bass (especially for wearing glasses).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back