what's a good DVD ripper?
Jan 6, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 15
I've always found that two-step solutions are the best. Use DVD Decrypter to decrypt and copy over VOBs. If you want something other than the stock DVD VOB files, use Handbrake or Dr. Divx to convert them.

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 15
+1 on DVD Decrypter.
It went out of development some 4 years ago, but it still gets the job done nicely.

You find it here -> RareWares

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #5 of 15
what do i do after DVD Decrypter? it left me with 13 separate files and most of them do the same thing.....play the DVD but i cant search or skip chapters etc etc.

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #6 of 15
You have ripped your DVD, which is what you asked for.
What to do next depends on what you want to do with it. Burn back to DVD, encode to smaller size, ....

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #9 of 15
id really just like one file on my computer that i can locate via Media Center and click that and have it start to play.

i downloaded Handbrake but im stumped.

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #10 of 15
you could rip to .iso file and some players (some set-top boxes) will be able to unpack the iso on the fly and play the video_ts folder in there.

else, the video_ts folder IS quite standard. simply pointing a video player at that folder should be enough to get dvd's to play.

I use a 'popcorn hour' player (set top box) and it plays iso files as well as folders.

I never liked handbrake compressed files. they look worse to me than mp3 audio is to flac audio. I can deal with mp3 audio but I just don't like re-re-recompressed video.

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 15
Try DVD Shrink. You can easily make your films into .iso that you then open with daemon tools or other mounting software.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #13 of 15
AnyDVD [latest version] + DVDShrink 3.2 and be done with it.

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
id really just like one file on my computer that i can locate via Media Center and click that and have it start to play.

i downloaded Handbrake but im stumped.

In handbrake, select source, then select DVD/Video_TS folder, then go select the folder with those 13 files in it that DVD Decrypter made. I recommend for standard DVDs to just set the video codec to H.264 and the target size somewhere around 1200 for extremely good quality. I also recommend you do two pass encoding, and make sure the crop and size are set to the default on the "Picture Settings" tab. Then just click start to encode after choosing a destination. You can even create a queue if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back