What's a good DAC/Amp combo run these days?
Apr 8, 2016 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SmokeyThePanda

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my eyes on the Schiit Stack for several years now. Now I see there's a Schiit Stack 2 and I'm really considering getting the combo. I've never taken the plunge because I've always just used a Fiio E11 and don't notice much different as far as sound goes and I don't want to waste my money on something a lot more money. The Schiit Stack really interests me because I really like my soundstage and I hear the Stack is phenomal with open back cans and making them sound extremely spacious. I use the HD558's now,and I'm looking at getting the Q701's or the AD700. But I want to know if taking the plunge and getting a good DAC/Amp combo will provide better results than just upgrading my cans. Opinions?

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 4
Amps are only needed if the headphone needs power.
The Q701 does need one more so than the AD700. Both will benefit from more power.

As far as a DAC goes, it will give more accurately convert the sound & those two headphones you listed are very detail oriented & they will definitely benefit from a cleaner sound.

Schiit Stack is entry level & pretty solid. Better than what you can get with a similar cost portable amp//dac.

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 4
Amps are only needed if the headphone needs power.
The Q701 does need one more so than the AD700. Both will benefit from more power.

As far as a DAC goes, it will give more accurately convert the sound & those two headphones you listed are very detail oriented & they will definitely benefit from a cleaner sound.

Schiit Stack is entry level & pretty solid. Better than what you can get with a similar cost portable amp//dac.

Is it possible to get only the Schiit DAC and connect it with the E11 and use that as the amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back