Whats a good amp for UE 10pro
Oct 4, 2006 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Topplayer

100+ Head-Fier
i just ordered my UE 10 pros and i was wondering whats a good amp that will complement it. my music styles are live music --> acid jazz. my fav bands are. Medeski martin and wood, Sound tribe sector 9, John scofeild, Benevento/Russo Duo, Phish, The Jazz Mandolin Project. I would aslo be using this amp with my Sennheiser HD 555's

Oct 4, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #2 of 7
Not sure what your price range is or if you're interested in tubes vs. solid state etc.

Based on my experiences, the UE10s sounded crazy bad out of the MPX3 which led me to believe they are not good with tubes.

Solid state...Larocco PRII works really nice with the UE10pro.

You'll need something with a low noise floor as the UE10s are very sensitive. I have read that the GS-1 is dead silent, however I have not heard that amp.

Hoping to check out a Prehead MKII shortly. I'll plug in the UE10s and let you know how it sounds.

Oct 4, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 7
The best I've heard is the HR-2 with an AD797 opamp in it. You might need the gain lowered to get more out of the volume knob but it still has some control at the standard setting. There was no noise or hiss at all with this amp. I cheaper alternative would by the XP-7 and swap in a AD797. I believe the Xin supermacro's can also use this opamp but I don't know if it would be hiss-free like Ray's amps.

The reason I like this opamp is the ue10 tend to be too dry for my taste and this opamp gives it life. I gives it a great rhythm and flow, has a nice mid-range, and highs are the ue10 are always pretty good with a lot of detail.

I can't recommend a portable amp. I had the SR-71 and didn't think it was the greatest match. It was much better than without an amp but didn't give them the rhythm and life I like.

Edit: I've also used the GS-1 with the ue10 and it is indeed dead silent and well. The GS-1 is a very fast amp and actually sound pretty good with the ue10 but I much prefered the HR-2. The only reason I don't have that amp anymore is I went with tubes for my PS-1 and I don't use the ue10 at home. I don't think most tube amps can handle the 13ohms of the ue10. My Mapletree can handle a range of 30ohm - 300ohm, so I've never tried the ue10 with it.

Oct 4, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 7
Maybe you should wait for the Larocco ISA Diablo that was scheduled to be released like two years ago. It is smaller than the PR2, uses only one 9V, and is built specifically for low impedance IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back