What's a good Amp for Planar Headphones
May 15, 2017 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Old Dirty Puppy

100+ Head-Fier
Hello I am looking for some advice for a new amp. I have several planar headphones Audeze LCD-2, Audeze Sine, Audeze iSine 10, Hifiman 400s, Fostex t50rp MkII and Yamaha HP-1. Earlier this year I bought my first tube amp, a Dark Voice 336se. Unfortunately at that time I did not do enough research. when I got the Dark Voice I was a bit disappointed. Even though I did notice a difference in sound between my Fiio e09k I was not impressed. I tried tube rolling and still the same problem. the sound quality was not significantly better then the e09k. It was just different. But then when I tried some of my dynamic headphone on the Dark Voice I actually notice an improvement in sound quality. On most of the Dynamics that I tried. The mids were cleaner and more pronounced. The highs were generally brighter and more crisp. The lows were not as deep but they were a bit more punchy. The sounds stage seemed wider. I actually got the changes that i was looking for using my dynamics. Unfortunately I love my Planar headphones more. After doing some research I discovered the possible reason as to why I wasn't happy using my Planar headphones on a tube amp. It turns out most OTL tube amps like the Dark Voice don't really provide the proper amount of power to drive planar headphones. So now I am on a hunt for a new amp. I have been looking at the Schiit Valhalla 2 and Lyr 2. I have heard the Valhalla 2 already with a pair of LCD-3 headphones. I loved the sound of the Valhalla 2. I haven't heard the Lyr 2 but I've seen many positive reviews. So my question is, do you guys have any suggestions for great amps to use with planars? My budget right now is around $500 for an amp.

May 16, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 10
After a bit more research I am now lean towards a Schiit Jotunhiem. I just discovered and am now planning to visit the Schiitr, the first ever Schiit store in the Los Angeles area. Luckily it is near me. Hopefully I can test out several of the Schiit amps that I am interested in.
Back to the Jotunhiem, one of the things that I really like about the Johtumhiem is that it has an option for a balance 4 pin connection. I've wanted to try out a balanced amp for a while now. Not sure how true it is but I've heard many people testify that balanced connection sounds slightly better. Also the DIY person in me would love to build balanced cables for all my headphones.
If you guys have any recommendations or advice on amps I would love to hear it.

May 16, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 10
While Schiit is good for the price, I'd be weary for their attention to detail/build quality (see first post): https://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/

and also balanced isn't "better", just "different". Many might think it's better when they listen to an amp that does both, but that's optimized/designed for balanced and comprised when used with the standard plug. Also this: https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

Anyways, I've heard good things about the Gustard H10 especially for planars. And if you're a DIYer you should try the Cavalli-Kan Kumisa III (CK²III) or Beta 22 (<this would be more expensive).

Last edited by a moderator:
May 16, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 10
I had almost the same problem as you with the 600S headphones, only worse. In my case, a couple of amps absolutely wouldn't play these phones. They popped and crackled, and I quickly unplugged the phones, and sent one amp in for repair, and that's where it is at. That led me to find another amp, and there were a couple of disappointments, but finally, I tried a Xiang Sheng DAC-02. I really was ready for another disappointment, but found it to be the best amp that I had heard so far. For $230 plus shipping, it is a keeper. I am still shaking my head because there were some bad reviews about it that I read AFTER I sent for it. The guy that I bought it from does work on these to put in a 'tested' 5670 tube, new 2134 op amps (says that you don't always get what you think you get), and maybe some other stuff. No doubt there are a lot of amps out there, and I will tell you this much,,, don't bother with a Hi-Fi Man EF2? I don't remember exactly, but it was only a hundred bucks, and worth less than a nickel. Lousy craftsmanship, didn't work in one channel, and the volume knob did not have the nut tightened so that the knob was, of course, very loose. Couldn't give it back for a refund fast enough. So, well, good luck on this journey. And you can't believe some of what you hear/read.

May 16, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 10
Lyr 2 with tubes (not LISST, which work better with dynamic headphones) or Jot is a good choice depending on which sound your leaning towards. Definitely give both a try at their store.

Don't worry about build quality concerns. Schiit has some of the best builds in the business. Of course there will be lemons here and there as with literally 100% of all electronic companies on the planet. That is what the fantastic warranty is for.

May 16, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 10
Planar and OTL amps don't usually work together to well as most have high impedance inputs and Planars are mostly low impedance so a low impedance input usually works best. Not to say that you can't use tubes with them but you will need a hybrid (solid state with tubes) or a ouput transformer coupled amp. They're some OTL amps that can drive Planars the way needed but not too many I've heard though. The one I know of that I almost bought was the Microzotl 2 and it is stellar but just over a Grand though. There are many amps out there that play really well with planars too numerous to count. I have not heard the Jot but people I trust says it is a fine amp. If your into DIY another that I have heard with several planars that did sound very good is Garage 1217 Project Ember2 that can be bought in kit form or pre built. It is a hybrid amp so there is tube rolling that can be done also but beware this can take a hit on your wallet if your not careful I know I have a couple of tube amps. If you ever see a Cavalli Liquid Carbon pick it up you will not be disappointed I guarantee. As on balanced some say it's better sound but I'm not sold on the Liquid Carbon it just doubles the output so most will say it is better but I don't hear any difference when volume matching.

May 16, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 10
Thank you guys for all your suggestions, I am definitely going to take them into consideration. I am probably going to avoid a DIY amp for now. I rather pick up a pre made amp with a good warranty that is going to be reliable. Because of this I am still leaning towards a Schiit amp. That 5 year warranty they offer on most of their products is too good.

If your into DIY another that I have heard with several planars that did sound very good is Garage 1217 Project Ember2 that can be bought in kit form or pre built. It is a hybrid amp so there is tube rolling that can be done also but beware this can take a hit on your wallet if your not careful I know I have a couple of tube amps.

As far as DIY amps the Garage 1217 Project Ember2 is absolutely beautiful to look at. I can already picture a red LED version next to my custom built PC. I might have to sell my Dark Voice and pick up that amp after my next amp.

May 18, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 10
I use a planar with the Schiit Jotunheim and I find that it's a pretty good pairing. To my ears, the Jotunheim is slightly treble-leaning and planars tend to be somewhat bass-mid leaning, so, a good balance overall.

May 18, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #9 of 10
Just got back from the Schiitr, the Schitt store near Los Angeles. That place is a schiit come true. they had the majority of their products on display and for use. Also they had an excellent selection of headphones to try, like Mr Speakers Either, Sennheiser HD800s, Grado RS1, Hifiman 400i and many more. I basically had my own private listening room. I was able to try out the Jotunheim, Valhalla 2 and Lyr 2 side by side with my own pair of Audeze LCD-2. After a long listening session and critically judging the amps against each other I decided to go with the Jotunheim. The Jotunhiem had the best balance and synergy with my pair of LCD-2. The Valhalla 2 was a close runner up but a little too warm for my liking when paired with the LCD-2. The Lyr 2 was actually my least favorite, the sound was a little too narrow and vocals were a bit lackluster compared to the Valhalla 2 and Jotunhiem. So now I am happy to say I am a proud owner of a Schiit Jotunhiem. Thank you guys for all of your help with selecting a new amp! Also I want to say thanks to the guys working at the Schiitr for their great customer service.

May 18, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #10 of 10
Well go to hear. The last amp I would pick would be the V2 as OTL's just don't cut it with Planars IMO there are some exceptions though. I have yet to hear the Jot but I've heard it is pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back