whats a better dac then the audioengine d1 + headphone amp. around same price?
Jun 5, 2015 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wakkaday

100+ Head-Fier
i want a headphone input ideally which cuts off the speakers

i have a pair of pwoered hs7 yamaha connected currently by phono to rca and would want a good dac to plug into my macbook by usb

i dont need a portable dac as such but want to pay under 300 dollars

im in uk

Jun 6, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 6
Audio-GD NFB-15 much better than D1. Awesome DAC/headphone amp/pre-amp with line out. And it doesn't shut off the speakers. Rather, there is a switch on the front to toggle between headphone and speakers. I love that because I can leave my headphones plugged in and switch right over.

Jun 6, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 6
  i want a headphone input ideally which cuts off the speakers
i have a pair of powered hs7 Yamaha connected currently by phono to rca and would want a good dac to plug into my Macbook by usb
i don't need a portable dac as such but want to pay under 300 dollars
I'm in uk

I believe a FiiO E10K would do what you need, here in the USA it sells for $76.

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 6
the fiio is available in the uk, but not sure if reviews are that great compared to d1 or they are both very similar 

i like the sound of Audio-GD NFB-15  thats exactly what i need... any reason why this is better than d1

any other suggestiosn

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 6
  the fiio is available in the uk, but not sure if reviews are that great compared to d1 or they are both very similar 

i like the sound of Audio-GD NFB-15  thats exactly what i need... any reason why this is better than d1

any other suggestiosn

This post seems to indicate confusion as the alternatives suggested are far more expensive, and therefore not competitive or responsive to the OP.

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 6
  the FiiO is available in the uk, but not sure if reviews are that great compared to d1 or they are both very similar 
i like the sound of Audio-GD NFB-15  that's exactly what i need... any reason why this is better than d1
any other suggestions

It comes with dual WM8741 DAC chips?
And a headphone amplifier with plenty of power.
I think my NFB-15.32 is great, your looking at $250-$270 + shipping ($45) and and import tax off a around $100 value.
So it's a little over your $300 (or less) budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back