What.....................!!!!!
Feb 9, 2004 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
I was searching for an article on audio cables and I stumbled across this gem
wink.gif

http://www.meta-gizmo.com/Tri/crusade/ALPHA.html

I did not bother to read most of it, but I thought you might get a kick out of it.

Anyway....in a more serious note the article I was looking for is named the "Essex Echo" by Dr. Malcolm something of the university of essex. Appearently it is the only scientific proof of cables having phases un-linear at different frequencies. I much desire to find this article. Anyone know where I can find it on the net?

Feb 9, 2004 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 6
Oh yeah, that's a guy who could talk me into believing cables are snake oil. This headline alone would have me believing every word!
rolleyes.gif

COMPELLING FORCES IN MUSIC DNA EXPLAINS
OUR HIGHER STANDARDS OF AURAL WHOLOSITY

[size=xx-small]Headlines in all caps have so much more credibility...[/size]

Feb 9, 2004 at 7:24 AM Post #3 of 6
The "Essex Echo" series was written by Dr. Malcolm Hawksford of the University of Essex. Here are the titles of the articles from his list of published works:
Quote:

THE ESSEX ECHO: ON ERRORS, LOW FEEDBACK AND FUZZY DISTORTION, M.O.J. Hawksford, Hi-Fi News and Record Review, vol.29, no.9, pp.37-41, April 1985

THE ESSEX ECHO: MAXWELLIAN THEORY AND INTERCONNECT MEMORIES, M.O.J.Hawksford, Hi-Fi News and Record Review, vol.30, no.7, pp.27-33, August 1985

THE ESSEX ECHO: REFLEXIONS, M.O.J. Hawksford, Hi-Fi News and Record Review, vol.30, no.12, pp.35-50, December 1985

THE ESSEX ECHO: UNIFICATION, PART 1, M.O.J. Hawksford, Hi-Fi News and Record Review, vol.31, no.5, pp 53-59, May 1986

THE ESSEX ECHO: UNIFICATION, PART 2, M.O.J. Hawksford, Hi-Fi News and Record Review, vol.31, no.8, pp 33-39, August 1986

THE ESSEX ECHO: UNIFICATION, PART 3, M.O.J. Hawksford, Hi-Fi News and Record Review, vol.31, no.10, pp 39-42, October 1986

THE ESSEX ECHO: UNIFICATION, PART 4, M.O.J. Hawksford, Hi-Fi News and Record Review, vol.32, no.2, pp 37-45, February 1987

I looked around for the text of the articles, but didn't find them. (I didn't look all that intensely, though.) However, I found a little blurb (on Stealth Audio Cables' site) that tries to distill Dr. Hawksford's theories down into one paragraph:
Quote:

According to "The Essex Echo" article by Malcolm Omar Hawksford (which is the ONLY classical and acknowledged article on the on audio cables sound theory: 10 or 12 printed pages that explain what sounds best and why using a lot of math) interconnects sound more "focused" and "extended" if they are made of a VERY thin wire: the thinner - the better, in fact. Clarity, resolution, bass tightness - everything is better with thin wire. Why? Because thin wire allows to "move" the skin effect out of the audible range and eliminate (or greatly reduce) the time smearing of audio signal - i.e. the time domain distortion subjectively perceived as excessive upper midrange "brightness" and "boomy" unfocused bass...

So, it's possible that the only way to see these articles is to get reprints from "Hi-Fi News & Record Review" or maybe buy one of Allen Wright's books ('The SuperCables Cookbook', which, IIRC, contains a reprint of Dr. Hawksford's articles).

D.

Feb 9, 2004 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
"...WHOLOSITY"
[size=xx-small]Headlines in all caps have so much creibility...[/size]

What is right. Wholosity?

Feb 9, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by esquilax
it is almost compulsory that i post a link to timecube in this thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, whoever wrote the stuff on that linked page really, really, really scares me...
eek.gif
I honestly believe they're serious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back