What you don't like about Grado cans...
Dec 27, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #62 of 70
The thing I don't like about Grado labs is that they're not considering the idea of doing another hp-2 production , or purpose ( even if very pricey ) a lightweight more portable headphones with very same sonics ; I'd be disposable to pay very serious dollars for a pair if they were available ; wondering who woudn't be .. a lightweight more portable hp-2 , the ultimate audiophile dream, eventually a one-only headphone one could use for a life and carry with him anywhere, plugging them anywhere to let music flow and show from the source.
I bet at least 1 to x hundreds persons here would get them instantly if they were available .

Dec 27, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #63 of 70
I find even after bending the RS-1. They still aren't as comfortible as other headphones I have. My ears get tired of getting pressed on. They are loose as it is so I don't want to bend them anymore.

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #64 of 70
For me it's:

- comfort: can hardly tolerate the bowls, comfies are acceptable;
- handling: stiff cable of strange length, rotating earpieces...
- sonic balance: too sharp upper mids/highs on quite a few models
- pricing: sucks over here in Europe

Pros are a certain uniqueness in sound and design. So despite the above, the SR80 (bought in the US...) deserves its place in my collection - and I'd probably also buy an RS2, if it was available over here for ~ 300 Euro new.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #65 of 70
Listening to my 10 year old RS-1's that still work perfectly, that came in a nice wood box, with comfortable flat pads, on the PS Audio amp, I can't think of anything I don't like.

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #66 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
The thing I don't like about Grado labs is that they're not considering the idea of doing another hp-2 production , or purpose ( even if very pricey ) a lightweight more portable headphones with very same sonics ; I'd be disposable to pay very serious dollars for a pair if they were available ; wondering who woudn't be .. a lightweight more portable hp-2 , the ultimate audiophile dream, eventually a one-only headphone one could use for a life and carry with him anywhere, plugging them anywhere to let music flow and show from the source.
I bet at least 1 to x hundreds persons here would get them instantly if they were available .

I was hoping the SR200 with HP1000 drivers would be that can, but unfortunately the HP2 still took it to town.

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #67 of 70
- Overpriced, considering the headband, pizzabox packaging, and overall build quality, all very questionable.

- Many complain of brightness on models below RS-1

- Bowls aren't comfortable and slip off easily (especially with PS-1's), but offer the best sound IMO

- Flats are more comfortable that extends bass, but at the sacrifice of clarity

- Lack of soundstage. Mostly due to the "in your face Grado signature".

There's many merits that meet the flaws, I never said I wasn't a proud owner of a Grado product.

Dec 27, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #68 of 70
CONS

- Price outside USA. Outrageous. Grado is not an option at these prices.
- Sonic balance. Shrill highs, not enough bass quantity. They are really bright headphones that need modding
smily_headphones1.gif

- Strange soundstage.
- Serious comfort issues.
- Substandard build & materials for the price.
- Poor quality control.
- Twisting cable.

PROS

- Great personality
smily_headphones1.gif

- Very tweakable through pad mods.
- The best with electric guitars.
- Great bass impact.
- Portability.

Dec 27, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #69 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraegorn
..pizzabox packaging..

lol, god damn.

I don't like the build quality, sibilance using bowl pads and the twisty tangly cable. I also don't like the price outside of the US, makes me angry.

Dec 27, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #70 of 70
If you have already heard the senn 555 you should buy a pair of grados from headphone.com. If you don’t like them you can just send them back within 30 days for a full refund. But I would recommend the MS2i (Alessandro Music Series Two) over any other grado in their price range. The MS2i is more balanced top to bottom.

To me the 555 has a very similar sound signature to the 650s but they all around sound cloudier.

What do I not like about grados?

Well they don’t sound like speakers (I am a speaker guy). They mess up the imaging more than other headphones IMO. Where AKG and Senn does a better job of sound stage and instrument placement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back