What would you spend for your perfect setup.
Mar 15, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #78 of 117
Well, I've spent $5k already and ain't close yet.

Too much money and time spent learning what sound I like and what works for me. Can't even imagine what it would have cost without the help of headfi.

Maybe ignorance is bliss.

BTW, I'm only talking headphone expense. Don't even want to think about the speaker rig money I've wasted over the last 30 years.

Mar 15, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #80 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would get TAD loudspeakers with TACT amplifaction, but not sure about the source yet, probably a uber dvd player.

If I were gonna go completely crazy, I'd probably be looking at Watt Puppies. I'd also probably be looking at living alone...

Mar 15, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #81 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were gonna go completely crazy, I'd probably be looking at Watt Puppies. I'd also probably be looking at living alone...

biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #82 of 117
Anyone heard of this study?

So, how do you know if what you're buying is really a [detectable, to you] step up from what you had before? Maybe it's all in your head, and your ears really can't hear a difference, meaning you're just wasting money because of your delusions. And maybe your new stuff is actually lower quality in every measurable way, but you believe it's better because the "suggested retail price" is higher. Maybe your wife was right all along, maybe you really are losing your marbles.
"Here they are, they rolled under the speaker stand."

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #84 of 117
I think I am close to the perfect system now.

I would say 10k max.When a credit card needs to be whipped out,or a loan taken,then I start to draw the line.My wife and I have been lucky,or the universe has been very kind,as
we are close now to 'perfection'.Mind you a lot of what we have purchased was NOS,or lightly used gear... so,maybe that figure is not completely correct.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #85 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wouldnt,and Mr Cheney is not only one singing this tune about the Wilsons.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #86 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny Calavera /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is Cheney involved with VMPS?
I have heard the Watt Puppy 7s. They were good. They didnt do it for me like the Thiel CS7.2 speakers I own. If they made me happier than the Thiels do then I would say for me they would be worth the money. The Thiels I own are $16K new. To many they would be considered over priced.(even at $1K if you dont like them) To me(the only one that counts, since I spent the money) they are the best I have owned and heard.
The pleasure they give me on a daily basis.........PRICELESS!!

Mar 22, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #87 of 117
I chose $50-250k. I wouldn't even know how to spend more than that on a single system.

I'm at $10k right now with my current HT setup. I'm quite content with the sound. I haven't heard a lot of top-end gear, but I'm sure sound gets significantly better than my Marantz/Paradigm combo.

My headphone setup is around $3k if you include my iPod. More if you include a better source. Again, I'm content (or maybe even a little more than content) with my setup, but I'm sure a better dedicated source and a better amp would yield better results. As for cans, I'd like to listen to some top contenders to decide. I'd guess $15-20k to be a top-end limit for a headphone-only setup.

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #88 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny Calavera /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, remember that I chose a budget in the poll which would just barely pay for the W/Ps, with nothing left over for sources, amplification, etc. And I did say that I would probably end up much closer to the bottom of my chosen range than the top.

But if money were no object, it would be fun to spend some time looking over insanely priced stuff, if only for the outlandish claims and twisted science the manufacturers dish out.

Interesting editorial, by the way. But the author does seem a bit jaded...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back