What would you reply to someone who told you that...
Aug 31, 2003 at 6:08 AM Post #16 of 28
I have only heard of one of these (Bjork). I'm 38, and I'll stick with Pink Floyd, The Who, Dire Straits, Clapton, etc, etc. I am open to new things, but I seriously think the quality of what is considered rock today simply sucks. Instead, I have moved into other genres such as triphop/downtempo, space/ambient, and into more classical. To me, all these bands of the past 5-10 years sound alike (now I sound like my dad, but that is how I feel). I will try anything, and I have listened to a lot of the newer stuff.....sorry, it just doesn't do it for me.

Quote:

Originally posted by Davey
I'd tell them that if they are serious and not just being an old curmudgeon, they should check out one or two of these before completely dismissing the last decade of rock

Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I
Built To Spill - Perfect From Now On
Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West
Wheat - Hope and Adams
Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs
The Notwist - Neon Golden
Bjork - Homogenic
Laika - Sounds of the Satellites
Walt Mink - El Producto
The Shins - Oh, Inverted World
PJ Harvey - Rid of Me
Ben Harper - Fight For Your Mind
Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Yo La Tengo - Electr-o-pura
Arto Lindsay - Noon Chill
Luna - Bewitched
Stereolab - Emeperor Tomato Ketchup
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
Super Furry Animals - Radiator
Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump
Califone - Quicksand/Cradlesnakes
Voyager One - Monster Zero
Black Heart Procession - Three
Twilight Singers - Twilight As Played By the Twilight Singers
and .......... :)

Aug 31, 2003 at 7:15 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
To me, all these bands of the past 5-10 years sound alike (now I sound like my dad, but that is how I feel). I will try anything, and I have listened to a lot of the newer stuff.....sorry, it just doesn't do it for me.

That's OK, you don't have to be sorry, spaceman. My feelings aren't hurt
wink.gif

Lots of people are like you and don't have much appreciation for modern rock. Hell, I don't really have much appreciation for modern rock myself, at least not most of it that's popular today. But I'm 48 now and I've always been interested in new music so I search it out and find things I like. Fortunately for me, I find tons of good music, probably more than at any other time in my life. Definitely more than at any time in my life. My wishlist seems to be about a mile long and never gets shorter, only longer. One of the biggest problems today is that there is just too much music available, probably at least ten times as many albums released every year as in the 80s even. Something like 30,000 per year now. And in a good year I may get to hear 50 or so. But I still hear a few every year that I would rate up there with some of the classics, and those are the ones I'll listen to and appreciate for years to come. And some of those are on the album list I posted.

But that's only because I like the hunt and enjoy doing the research and reading reviews and discussing music with other fanatics like myself. It's always a blast to find some new band or album that makes me want to tell all my buddies about it (yeah, who cares) and play it all the time, just like when I was a kid
tongue.gif

Or maybe it's just that my standards have eroded to the point where I'll listen to just about any old crap nowadays
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2003 at 5:04 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by neggy

Look at this way do you put mainsteam rap in the same league as pink floyd? Hell no.

of course you wouldn't. I know you're trying to make a point, but why are you comparing some of the worst music today to some of the best music of yesteryear? If you're going to compare the best, compare the best of the past to the best of the present. what you said kinda makes no sense(no offense, BTW).

Sep 1, 2003 at 5:13 PM Post #21 of 28
I would politely offer that person to choose couple of albums from my collection....and than enjoy his/her reaction couple of weeks later.

Then again, if we`re talking about a Floyd/Zeppelin/Stones die hard fan it`s a lost battle from the start, in which case I just wouldn`t care. With a smile on my face.

Sep 1, 2003 at 7:29 PM Post #22 of 28
I would tell them to stop listening to the radio. If you go out and explore there is a vast selection of good music available today, and a lot of it made in the last decade.

Sep 2, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #23 of 28
I'd raise my hands in the shape of a "W" across my forehead, slowing slightly at the point where one hand was in the shape of an "L".

No, seriously...

I'd say there's just as much good music out there, it's just harder to find. Try mp3.com, etc. But if they're happy in their time capsule, I'd be happy to shove pizzas under the door occasionally.

Mar 5, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Schizorabbit
instead of Led Zeppelin we have, OK maybe there's no one to match the Zep, but still, to say that there isn't as MUCH good music today as then is simply a far too limited statement.

i say Tool is on the level of Zep.

May 16, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #25 of 28
I agree that Tool is one of the best bands ever to exist, but personally, I just don't feel they have the diversity that Zep, offers. I just love listeing to their great rock ballad Kashmir, then going directly to D'yer M'ker, so different yet soooo good. But thats just me

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #26 of 28
Hmmm, I'll ask exactly what sort of music he's talking about, and my reply will depend on that.

If he is talking about folk/traditional music, I'll lend him some of my favourite new acts.

If he is refering to electronic music, I'll say there are far far more electronic musicians than 20 years ago, and that it takes time to sift through all the music to pick out the good from the so-so.

If it is Hong Kong pop music that he's complaining about, then I'll congratulate him on his good taste and keen observation.

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #27 of 28
I'd say they are mostly right. Music is getting real stale. Give me the good ole days before you give me todays pile of dung they call music. Give me Hendrix or give me death. I would rather be dead before I would listen to the Dave Matthews Band.

May 3, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by FalconP
If it is Hong Kong pop music that he's complaining about, then I'll congratulate him on his good taste and keen observation.

Definitely agree!

BTW one should really listen to OK Computer first if he complains about the quality of rock music nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back