What would you recommend for this situation?
Mar 3, 2022 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

madFloyd

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I normally only listening to headphones when on my computer or when going for long walks.

I find it hard to stay seated for long periods of time and I do have a nice 2 channel system that I listen to when at home.

So my 'walking' listening has mostly been IEMs until recently when an ear issue forced me to go with over-the-ears. I found this change very welcoming. I have two pairs of headphones:
- Focal Clears
- Focal Stellias

As an audiophile who loves a wide variety of music, I cherish the Stellias for acoustic instruments but I prefer the Clears for rock/progressive rock/pop. However, the Clears lack some resolution/clarity in the upper registers.

Basically, I'm wondering what someone would recommend as headphones that might be in between the two in terms of tonal balance and overall performance... keeping in mind that I will walk around with these and they can't be silly hard to drive. I will be using FIIO M17 or A&K SP2000.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 3, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #2 of 14
I haven't done a side by side with the Focals but have you looked into the Meze Liric? They're easily driven and extremely comfortable for on the go, but closed back.

Mar 3, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #3 of 14
I haven't done a side by side with the Focals but have you looked into the Meze Liric? They're easily driven and extremely comfortable for on the go, but closed back.
Thanks, It's on my radar. I don't mind closed back as long as it's not totally claustrophobic in terms of soundstage.

Mar 3, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #4 of 14
Thanks, It's on my radar. I don't mind closed back as long as it's not totally claustrophobic in terms of soundstage.
Oh it's not as closed in as others--I found separation to be really good on them. And the bass was tighter than the Empyrean... probably not as punchy as a Focal, but very good.

Mar 3, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 14
Oh it's not as closed in as others--I found separation to be really good on them. And the bass was tighter than the Empyrean... probably not as punchy as a Focal, but very good.
How would Verite compare?

Mar 3, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #6 of 14
How would Verite compare?
I don't think they're a direct comparison but the Verite has a nicer, more natural presentation overall I think. But the Verite is not something I would walk around with, although I've seen people do it.

Mar 3, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #7 of 14
I don't think they're a direct comparison but the Verite has a nicer, more natural presentation overall I think. But the Verite is not something I would walk around with, although I've seen people do it.
May I ask why you wouldn't walk around with the Verite? Too heavy, too conspicuous?

Mar 3, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #8 of 14
May I ask why you wouldn't walk around with the Verite? Too heavy, too conspicuous?
My Verites are camphor burl--haven't weighed them but they've got some heft to them. Also, while beautifully built, the adjusts are very mechanical in nature... the rods, uprights, gimbals... just seems like too much to walk with, and I don't like the way they fit around my 18" neck, which I like to do when I'm out and want to take HPs off.

Also, I would be worried about tossing them somewhere and scratching the magnesium. It's not the most durable paint. I like the Meze Liric because it has a subtle textured finish like a camera and doesn't seem like it would be easily scratched. Also fits well around the neck.

Mar 3, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 14
My Verites are camphor burl--haven't weighed them but they've got some heft to them. Also, while beautifully built, the adjusts are very mechanical in nature... the rods, uprights, gimbals... just seems like too much to walk with, and I don't like the way they fit around my 18" neck, which I like to do when I'm out and want to take HPs off.

Also, I would be worried about tossing them somewhere and scratching the magnesium. It's not the most durable paint. I like the Meze Liric because it has a subtle textured finish like a camera and doesn't seem like it would be easily scratched. Also fits well around the neck.
Thank you, I understand better now. I'll stop lusting after them now. :)

Mar 3, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #10 of 14
Thank you, I understand better now. I'll stop lusting after them now. :)
Oh they are incredible for band, rock, classical, anything with instruments. I'd just power them well on a desktop setup and leave them there--on the go, I'm more looking for something that will block out ambient noise so I don't need to crank them to hear.

Mar 3, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #11 of 14
Oh they are incredible for band, rock, classical, anything with instruments. I'd just power them well on a desktop setup and leave them there--on the go, I'm more looking for something that will block out ambient noise so I don't need to crank them to hear.
Gotcha.

I have the Meze Lyric on the way. I'll start with those.

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Mar 3, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #12 of 14
Gotcha.

I have the Meze Lyric on the way. I'll start with those.

Thanks, I appreciate your help.
Happy to help! They have an interesting treble response that felt more like open backs to me--interested to hear your impressions on them!

Mar 3, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #13 of 14
When you’re walking around do you need isolation? Are you near other people that would be bothered, or need to block out ambient sound from being outside? If so, closed back of course!

I have a couple different zmf headphones and would never take them on the go. It’s just too easy to scratch a wood headphone. If you’re just walking around your house it’s different, although at 300 ohms impedance I wouldn’t say they’re easy to drive.

Mar 3, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #14 of 14
When you’re walking around do you need isolation? Are you near other people that would be bothered, or need to block out ambient sound from being outside? If so, closed back of course!

I have a couple different zmf headphones and would never take them on the go. It’s just too easy to scratch a wood headphone. If you’re just walking around your house it’s different, although at 300 ohms impedance I wouldn’t say they’re easy to drive.

I don't *need* isolation for outside. It's a little embarrassing when I'm passing by someone and they can tell what I'm listening to, but then again I hear when cars approach. Of course I also hear lawn mowers and other intrusions.

If the sound was similar (which I've read it is in the case of ZMF Verite) I'd take closed as it's just more versatile. And while I could probably live with the risk of scratches, if they are cumbersome to put on & remove they are a no-go. I sometimes get interrupted by phone calls etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back