What would you compare to the V-Moda M-100?
May 10, 2014 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Fedelesk

100+ Head-Fier
So a long time ago this community did a fantastic job helping me narrow down my choices to the headphone I wanted to buy. In the past I got headphones that did not match my sound signature (DT-880 and also HE-400), they were not colored enough for me. Everyone gave some really accurate information on all the different sets I might like, and I think they suggested an awesome headphone; the V-Moda M-100. The V-Moda M-100's are definitely the best sounding headphone I have ever had. The only problem is their comfort. 10 minutes into listening and my ears are unrealistically sore. Only some contact is made to my ears but mine are so sensitive. I'd say these are about as small as circumaural can get before being on ear. I am wondering if anyone can suggest me a headphone that sort of has the V-moda sound (Emphasized punchy bass, but still very smooth even sound), but with the comfort of the Beyer-Dynamics. 

From the past choices people suggested, I think this would include the DT-770, DT-990, and the Ultrasone pro 900's. My fear of the 900's is past talk of them being highly sibilant. 

Basic needs:

$150-$300
Closed headphones, no open or semi-open
Possible detachable cord would be nice but not a must
Dark sound signature, ***My ears are extremely sensitive to sibilance, like the HE-400 and DT-880 are very very bright and fatiguing in my opinion
HUGE pads. I need beyer-dynamic style pads on my head. The material isnt required but the size of the pads are. 
I am fine with going slightly more towards a sub-bass sound, versus a punchy kick bass that the V-moda seem to produce. (They have awesome sub-bass too though from what I have heard)

This being said I am selling my V-moda M-100 as well as my DT-880's, although that will be going into the other section of this forum. Thanks for reading I can't wait to hear your suggestions. 

May 12, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #2 of 18
Have you tried the XL pads on the M100s? That could solve all your problems with comfort. I wouldn't recommend you get the DT770 if you don't like a bright headphone. I can't recommend any headphones that are around the ear that won't bother your sensitivity to brightness. I'll leave that part for someone else. 

May 12, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 18
You could mod a pair of Fostex T50RPs by covering the vent on the cups. A lot of people do that, including myself. They have a pretty dark sound stock, but most people mod them to sound different. Shure 840 ear pads will make them more of an around-ear headphone, and they have a detachable cable. They aren't as bass heavy as the M100 though.

May 12, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 18
Ya, I do see a lot of recommendations for those D600's. I might either go with the XL pads, or try some new headphones. I think I might have to go for the XL pads, as much as I like new stuff. I cannot believe I forgot about those. Thank you so much for reminding me. 

Also I am curious, do the XL pads only get deeper or do they actually get larger for my ears in all directions. I'm assuming I wont notice much difference in sound, but maybe? Anyone from experience?

Thanks 

May 12, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 18
From the looks of it they're wider but I don't know about deeper. They're pretty smushy so I don't think it places your ear farther from the drivers. I'm demoing a pair with XL pads but have never used them with the stock pads.

May 13, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 18
Well I already purchased some, just straight off of the V-moda site. According to them they are "30% bigger in diameter, 2x deeper, and 55% larger volume space."
I am pretty excited to see how much they will help, trust me these stock pads feel like rocks compared to my Beyers, I don't know who would ever want less room and more firmness. I know you said they might not place my ears further from the drivers, but right now they touch them, so I sure hope they don't touch with these new pads.  

May 13, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 18
  You could mod a pair of Fostex T50RPs by covering the vent on the cups. A lot of people do that, including myself. They have a pretty dark sound stock, but most people mod them to sound different. Shure 840 ear pads will make them more of an around-ear headphone, and they have a detachable cable. They aren't as bass heavy as the M100 though.

+1 to this.  A modded pair of T50RP's seems like a perfect fit.  Most of the premade ones have a darker sound signature (ZMF, Mad Dog 3.2) although it lacks that heavy chest-pounding umph the M100 has in my opinion.  Thats not to say it has terrible bass; its just fine for my needs.  The pads are pretty darn comfortable too (I can wear mine for hours without fatigue).  The downside is that you need to buy an amp to drive them if you do not already have one. 

If you are still looking for a really good bass, have you considered the Beyerdynamic DT990?  Its pretty famous for its bass as far as I know (it had more bass than the T50RP mod I have).  I can't really do justice to the sound, so I would recommend you go to a local audio store and try it out if possible (or order from amazon and return it, if thats at all possible where you live) 

May 13, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 18

+1 to this.  A modded pair of T50RP's seems like a perfect fit.  Most of the premade ones have a darker sound signature (ZMF, Mad Dog 3.2) although it lacks that heavy chest-pounding umph the M100 has in my opinion.  Thats not to say it has terrible bass; its just fine for my needs.  The pads are pretty darn comfortable too (I can wear mine for hours without fatigue).  The downside is that you need to buy an amp to drive them if you do not already have one. 

If you are still looking for a really good bass, have you considered the Beyerdynamic DT990?  Its pretty famous for its bass as far as I know (it had more bass than the T50RP mod I have).  I can't really do justice to the sound, so I would recommend you go to a local audio store and try it out if possible (or order from amazon and return it, if thats at all possible where you live) 

That would be a fun thing to do considering I have never modded headphones, maybe they can be my next pair. This solution for the big pads will be everything I will need for a long time though. I definitely don't like the sound of them missing the umph that the M-100s have. I have been searching for this energetic punchy sound for a long time from these M-100's. I have just the Xonar Essence STX sound card but not sure how to compare that to a dedicated headphone amp.

May 13, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 18
Yea, I definitely have considered the DT-990's. I mentioned them in my original post 
wink.gif
. Plus on top of that, I think that Beyer-Dynamic are by a long shot the most comfortable thing I ever put on my head (I own the DT-770's, but only put them on for comfort once my M-100's have made my ears hurt.) Also the DT-990's LOOK amazing to me. 

May 13, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #12 of 18
I think the DT990 also requires a headphone amp for optimal sound (although you shouldn't quote me on that!).  I know that the modded TH50RP's were both really comfortable for me.  I didn't wear the DT990 long enough to notice fatigue either way (look it up in the DT990 thread!).  Try looking on the Basshead Thread for a sense of what is in the same league as the M100's bass.  I'm not really a bass expert myself so I can't help you out there. 

Although, once again I must emphasize that the only way I think anyone can ever really be 100% satisfied with their purchase is if they go out and try a bunch of phones.  If there is no audio store, a headfi meet or order+return from amazon always works fairly well.  After all, opinions are in the end only opinions and the only one that really matters (to you) is your own. 

Regarding your sensitivity to sibilance, maybe it is your card / setup that is causing it and not your phones.  Have you tried using different quality audio files or switching your source player? 

May 13, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #13 of 18
That is what i have learned, you have to try them. I started with my sennheiser HD-280's, and loved them. Got my DT-770's not knowing how I wouldn't like the sound. Stopped using them, got the HE-400's. Didn't like them and sold them. FINALLY got these and am satisfied. You should see my other posts from forever ago, and the ones that made me decide to buy the V-moda's. So much back and forth!

I basically found and now obviously.... I do not enjoy open headphones very much. I can't believe I went for the HE-400s 
confused_face.gif
. But it was a lesson I had to learn. 

Oh, and also I have that Xonar sound card I should be able to power them... right now it does a fine job powering my DT-770 250ohms. 

May 13, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #15 of 18
http://www.head-fi.org/t/573826/the-basshead-club/5175#post_9229452

Try this link out for a general guide.  Read and talk to the people there.  They would know more about bassy headphones then I ever would. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back