What would you buy for a newbie, K240 or HD555?
Jan 1, 2006 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Would like to get my friend into headphones...cant even consider any Grados b/c she finds them terribly uncomfortable. (mind you, shes never heard use anything better than her Sony ex71's).
She listens to Pop, World, Ethnic, Trip-Hop, Hip-Hop, Classical, Jazz and Electronic. Barely any rock and mostly female singer type groups/bands.
These will be used direct from an IPOD, no amp.
Weve decided on an open design, and they will remain at home most of the time.
***She herself is a singer, and therefore I believe requires a can that is somehwat analytical most importantly in the mids (if that makes any sense).
Instrument seperation is important too.

So, which would you recommend of the two?
My budget is around $120 and comfort is most definitely a factor.

thanx for the help guys.

Jan 2, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 9
Jan 2, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 9
Definitely the HD555's. Their comfort with the velour pads are Grade A, and typically Sennheiser's have pretty good sound staging. Also since she won't be listening to rock too much, the HD555's are fine. At 50-ohms, she'll get pretty good performance out of them straight from her iPod, and it'll give her room to upgrade the sound if she ever considers an amp.

Jan 2, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 9
yeah the hd555s are pretty comfortable. i won't go as far as saying you won't feel them on your head but they definitely don't put any strain on your ears.
580smile.gif

Jan 2, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 9
Jan 2, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tradja
Yes, they're slightly recessed, but oh, those K240S mids...

Either would be a good choice. The velour pads on the HD555 sure are nice.

Those HD555 are pretty comfortable.
They have a nice sound stage. Also they are not really of high impedance so thats a plus since she's not using an amp.

Jan 2, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 9
thanx for the help peoples-hd555 it is.
(was going to pick up the 240 on Ebay but I found out its an "M" rather than an "S" meaning 600ohms!!! Yous need a lawnmower to run that thing. )
BTW-the 600 ohm model is elling for 69.99 on Ebay-thats a ridiculous price.

Jan 2, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 9
I'd say the HD555's, but for a different reason. I'm sure she'll care a bit more about aestetics, and I've thought Sennheiser always made nice looking cans. I'm sure she's like the look of the HD555's better than the K240's
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back