What would make me go WOW!?
Jan 3, 2008 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Sittler27

New Head-Fier
I have an 80GB iPod Classic and Shure SE210s.

Without spending more money (as both items are returnable right now), what would be a significant improvement in sound quality?

I'm thinking of just getting an 8GB Nano and returning the 80GB iPod Classic (overkill for me), so that free's up some cash.

Jan 3, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Possibly a bitrate increase?

You would say a bitrate increase would provide a better improvement in sound over a better set of head phones (slightly better, I'm not prepared to spend $100s more on headphones).

All my music are 320kbps MP3s ripped from FLACs using LAME. Those FLACs were ripped using EAC from the original CDs.

So would converting those FLACs to ALACs provide that substantial WOW factor?

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 25
No. But you didnt mention your bitrate in the first post, hence my trepidation.

I for one wouldnt go lossless on the move. Not unless I was using UE customs.

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 25
I'm not sure I understand your question.

You want to be "WOW'd" without spending any money!? What are you expecting us to say? I'm confused..
confused.gif

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 25
I guess I want to know if my iPod 80GB with 320kbps MP3s and Shure SE210s is the best sound quality I can get for the money spent. And if not, then what could I change for little $ more?

For example, would ripping all my original FLACs to ALACs provide that substantial difference?

Or would a different headphone/earphone in the same price range provide that difference as well?

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. But you didnt mention your bitrate in the first post, hence my trepidation.

I for one wouldnt go lossless on the move. Not unless I was using UE customs.

Why wouldn't you go lossless on the move?

And what are UE customs?

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sittler27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I want to know if my iPod 80GB with 320kbps MP3s and Shure SE210s is the best sound quality I can get for the money spent. And if not, then what could I change for little $ more?

For example, would ripping all my original FLACs to ALACs provide that substantial difference?

Or would a different headphone/earphone in the same price range provide that difference as well?

I would trade in the 80GB if you don't need the size, sell the SE210's and buy a better headset first. Then source and finally amp.

How much are you willing to spend?

And UE customs are (Ultimate Ears) custom made IEM's.

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would trade in the 80GB if you don't need the size, sell the SE210's and buy a better headset first. Then source and finally amp.

How much are you willing to spend?

Not much more than I already have on the 80gb and the 210s, but I paid full price for the 210s from a B&M place to try out and return, then get a cheaper pair on ebay so I have room to move.

All in all, if I traded the 80GB for an 8GB nano, I'd have about $245 to throw at a headset.

What do you recommend?

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Not much more than I already have on the 80gb and the 210s, but I paid full price for the 210s from a B&M place to try out and return, then get a cheaper pair on ebay so I have room to move.

All in all, if I traded the 80GB for an 8GB nano, I'd have about $245 to throw at a headset.

What do you recommend?

No idea, I like full-size headphones, not IEM's. Wait for someone else to chime in.

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No idea, I like full-size headphones, not IEM's. Wait for someone else to chime in.

No, no. I want your opinion based on my scenario for full-size headphones.

I'm thinking I like them better than earbuds. I have some $50 earbuds I can wear while working out, etc., but am thinking for around the house having a nice pair of headphones (have to be comfortable).

Just so you understand, my home audio system is an Onkyo TX-SR705 and a set of Paradigm speakers (Monitor series). I play FLACs mainly from my HTPC via optical connection to the Onkyo.

It sounds great, but my problem is it's in the basement in my home theater, so it's good when I'm down there, but sometimes I just want to lounge around upstairs and listen to music, hence the search for a portable rig.

So, any suggestions? I had read about Sennheiser HD 650s but they are a little pricey.

As an aside question, do you think a pair of head phones of the HD650 caliber sound better than my home audio rig with the Paradigms?

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #12 of 25
Getting full-sized cans for home is great, but remember to factor in amps as most full-sized cans require a little boost to shine. I'd suggest that if you are not willing to spend much $ for the WOW factor, a good IEM to go with your nano is still the best choice, especially if you are going to use it on the move (ie, public transport) due to they're sound isolation capabilities.

It's best you let us know what genres of music do you listen to and what kind of sound you'd prefer. Then we can help you pick out something.

Jan 3, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

So, any suggestions? I had read about Sennheiser HD 650s but they are a little pricey.

As an aside question, do you think a pair of head phones of the HD650 caliber sound better than my home audio rig with the Paradigms?

I would doubt it, especially if you're a speakerphile and your definition of 'better' includes some soundstage realism. OTOH, high end headphones can give you a deeper insight into well-recorded music....the details.

Most Senns are high impedance, so driving them with an iPod isn't a great idea. You could look at Audio-Technicas, or Grados. The Grados are known for a more in-your-face presentation, i.e. good for rock, not necessarily "accurate". A-T's would be more laid back and maybe a bit more refined.

Jan 3, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #14 of 25
I think sell your 80G classic and get an used iPod 5.5G, and load Rockbox. To me the same hardware but when replaced with Rockbox instead of Apple's software gives me the Wow factor, IMO. Plus, with rockbox, finally EQ is usable.

Jan 3, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #15 of 25
Before I get any further into this highly subjective thread/topic, I will say what "WOW's" me, might not "WOW" you.

Therefore, take ALL recommendations with a fine grain of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back