What would make an iPod LOD have less low end? (and possibly lower in volume)
Jul 14, 2011 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Navyblue

Headphoneus Supremus
First I have to state that I don't believe in fancy cables would make any difference in sound quality, however...

I have one of those generic iPod LOD to mini adapter, I use it with a DIY mini to mini cable. I use Neutrik straight plugs so the whole thing sticks out quite a bit.

So I got myself a low profile LOD from eBay. It cost quite a bit for the basic model with silver plated copper. I chose that as it seems to be the lowest profile around. But for a bit more it comes with a "Mundorf Gold" cable which is supposedly 99% silver and 1% gold. So I bought that, thinking it would be at least decent and shouldn't be worse than my own DIY copper cable.

It sounded ok, however when compared to my own DIY cable I definitely feel that it has less low mid / upper bass, and possibly has less volume as well (I am not sure on this, may be the thinner sound makes me feel that it is not as loud). Before you dismiss me as imagining things on cable, is there any explanation as to how could this happen? I know that capacitance could make the sound more dull due to high frequency roll off. Is there anything that could make sound thinner?

My DIY cable is made of Canare L-2B2AT and it is bout 1" from plug to plug, so it can't have that much capacitance that I am used to a sound signature that has rolled off treble. Subjectively speaking I felt my own cable sounded more full and detailed and has a wider sound stage, the frequency extension on both end seems to be about the same.

Poor connection? From the outside the construction looks fine but I don't want to rip it apart if possible. Also the LOD to mini adapter has all the pins intact. With the new LOD it looks like only the necessary pins are left behind.

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 4
If its for an IMOD, the size of the capacitors IN the cable (or in a little box as the case may be) may not be large enough for an amp with a very low input impedance. 

If its just a straight piece of cable, no idea. Im not much of a cable guy either. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back