What would it take for you to buy an iPod?
Jan 17, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #46 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twigs
It turns off fine. Just hold the play button for like 3 seconds.

It actually doesn't turn off completely. It stays on sleep mode, thus constantly using tiny amount of battery till battery dies.

Jan 17, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #47 of 107
yes, that part irritates me as well.. but when it actually does shut completely off after a few days, you'll notice that it takes quite a while to boot up.. id hate to have to go through that everytime i turn it on..

Jan 17, 2005 at 10:39 AM Post #48 of 107
I have had my iPod (3g, 10gb) for about a year and a half and I love it. The sound quality is pretty good, though there are two main things that I wish it had.

1. Support for better EQ settings. As it is, I want more bass sometimes. When I set it to "bass boost" there is too much bass
biggrin.gif
I want better control over all of this.

2. Support for .flac. I like that you can play .wav files, but converting my collection to .wav isn't attractive to me. .flac is 1/2 the size with the same quality, so that's what I want.

Right now, the iPod Linux OS has an extremely large amount of potential. I just installed it and it's not great yet, but there is .ogg and .flac support being developed. It would be nice if Apple opened up their product to the community a little more, but I don't see that happening. Anyhow, I see good things in the future with iPod linux.

Jan 17, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #49 of 107
The biggest thing keeping me away is cost. I would consider a sub $50 model. I'm not paying $250 for one though. not when I can buy a CD player for $50 and blank CDs cost next to nothing.

Jan 17, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #50 of 107
I only got one because of free iPod internet scams. Otherwise I wouldn't have the dough.

But hey, it's a nice player. It pleases me enough, but there is plenty to be improved... but it's pretty sexy.

I used to have an old Creatize Zen before I got the iPod for free... that was pretty good too, but the iPod navigation is much nicer.

Anyways, I don't rip CDs, I get my songs in other ways, so I don't have the highest quality tracks anyways... so for me, the iPod sounds nice enough.

Jan 17, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #51 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricola_pak
The main reason I didn't buy an iPod is because I don't wanna look like "everyone else".

I don't wanna appear "trendy", if anyone gets what I mean
cool.gif

thats exactly the same with me
i had the option of 4G 20GB ipod, or soy NWHD3, and i chose the sony, mainly to not follow the trend.

ipod isnt popular because of what it has, but it was one of the first HD players out, and is a simple design, so is a fasion icon.

The battery life is also fairly poor, and the gapless playback is non existant

Jan 17, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #52 of 107
Pretty Much a different color scheme besides soap box white and a removable battery. It would also have to get rid of that bass drop off problem it has.

Jan 17, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #53 of 107
Apple would have to pay me!

There is no way on earth i'll get an ipod with my own money, or even if it was free!

iPod just plainly sucks so very badly. it's got the worst build quality, the worst sound output, the worst batteries, the worst boxed package ever, the worst packaged software, and above all: it's well overpriced!!!

yes, some say the glossy-cheapy-plasticky shell looks nice, but it's about solidity and scratch-resistance, not about nice!!! yes, some say the ingenious UI makes it the best player, but does that really make it the best player??? yes, some say that you'd recharge the sh!tty batteries when they run low, but won't you be crying after 1.5 years when you ipod dies out!?!

rs1smile.gif
get over it. iPod sucks all-round.

600smile.gif
i'm getting my Sony HD3 next month, so you better watch out... APPLE!!!

Jan 17, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #54 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by heminder

There is no way on earth i'll get an ipod with my own money, or even if it was free!

iPod just plainly sucks so very badly. it's got the worst build quality, the worst sound output, the worst batteries, the worst boxed package ever, the worst packaged software, and above all: it's well overpriced!!!

yes, some say the glossy-cheapy-plasticky shell looks nice, but it's about solidity and scratch-resistance, not about nice!!! yes, some say the ingenious UI makes it the best player, but does that really make it the best player??? yes, some say that you'd recharge the sh!tty batteries when they run low, but won't you be crying after 1.5 years when you ipod dies out!?!

rs1smile.gif

600smile.gif

so how do you really feel about the iPod?

Jan 17, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #55 of 107
Quote:

some say that you'd recharge the sh!tty batteries when they run low, but won't you be crying after 1.5 years when you ipod dies out!?!

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but that's called "normal wear and tear" on a battery. Happens to all Li-ion batteries. Laptops, iPods, even your precious Sony player. Now, the fact that I can't get more than 10 hours on a single charge pisses me off a bit, but that's a different story entirely.

Jan 18, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #56 of 107
better sound quality, especially on the low end. in my opinion, without an amp (since i'm never going to carry one of those around), the ipod sounds terrible. it's too bad because i really wanted one before i listened to it. improve the low end and distortion at low volumes and i'd buy it.

Jan 18, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #57 of 107
if it was free.... without having to let every website know what color my crap was last time i took a dump... i'd accept it then sell it

like i said for me to buy one it would have to come with a free iriver

Jan 18, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #58 of 107
Quote:

The main reason I didn't buy an iPod is because I don't wanna look like "everyone else".

Thats THE worst reason I have ever heard. Thats cutting your nose off to spite your face. I could understand the people protesting the lack of gapless playback but the looks?! C'mon. The only thing a creative product has equal to it is sound quality, and I mean equal. The Creative and Ipod SQ's are different but equally good. The Creative players have a nice balanced rich sound, while the Ipods have a brighter sound with better instrument seperations and wider soundstage. C'mon.

Jan 18, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #59 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricola_pak

Keep the iPod in a pocket or a case and ditch the white earbuds, which are mediocre anyway, and no one will know. In fact, buy an iPod today, but tell the folks here on head-fi.org that you bought an iRiver. That way you can pretend you're cool and different but still get to enjoy an iPod!
eggosmile.gif

Jan 18, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #60 of 107
Quote:

rs1smile.gif

600smile.gif

It's ironic that it's my own continuing frustration with Sony products that drove me to buying one. One of my most frustrating moments with most of the Sony players is that their headphone outputs are both very feeble and of horrible quality at the same time (in fact, one of my Sony players had serious trouble driving even cheap Sony earbuds loud enough without clipping, even in a dead-quiet room - and that Sony sounded worse than even the headphone jack from a cheap stereo clock radio at that Sony's maximum usable volume setting). The second is that a few of my recent Sony portable players broke just after the labor warranty expired - and Sony wants to charge a lot more than what I had originally paid for the players just to even look at the problem, and then some more to fix them! (They want $80 just to look at a $60 player, and then charge another $40 on top of that to fix it. And having Sony repair a $200 portable player that had been brought in 91 days after the original purchase date would have ended up costing as much as what the player itself originally sold for.)

Oh, by the way, if you think the iPod sucks, you'll be even more frustrated with your new Sony HD player. I've found the Sony HD-based players cannot play back MP3s directly without having them wrapped in a proprietary DRM wrapper. (I finally got my hands on one of them for a few minutes.) All MP3s to be played back on that player must either be converted to ATRAC3 or ATRAC3Plus via (the often buggy and unstable, even with fixes) SonicStage or be transferred through Sony's proprietary MP3 manager program - both of which impose DRM restrictions on the transferred files. (Previous MP3-compatible non-CD Sonys could only read ATRAC3 files.) WAV, FLAC, WMA? Fuhgeddaboudit. Those files must be converted to ATRAC3 or ATRAC3Plus via SonicStage in order for the Sony players to play those files; the Sony players know only ATRAC and its variants, and some Sony players know MP3 files that have been wrapped in Sony-compatible DRM. The Sony flash- and HD-based players do not support playback of uncompressed and lossless-compressed audio files at all whatsoever - they must be transcoded into a lossy compressed format before they'll even play at all.

And sadly, the MP3 players are not the only poorly-executed products from Sony. Their headphones are, for the most part, underachievers for their price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back