What would I gain from more out power in mW?
Dec 18, 2020 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Head-Fier
I've got a pair of Fostex T20RP, and many a reviewer have claimed that they require stupid amounts of power to be "driven properly"

I have them currently connected to the output on my Blue Yeti, which has a mindboggling 130mW of output power, and I can easily crank the volume to near deafening levels with that sort of wattage.

So...Why would I connect them to something that outputs +2W of power, if I can deafen myself with 130mW?

I have probably misunderstood how wattage and amperage works in headphones, which is why I posted it here specifically.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 18, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #2 of 3
The basic idea behind using an amp that has a lot of output power is that if you crank your amp all the way up it's going to perform worse than if you just used like half the output power. People recommend using an amp that can output way more power than your headphones need so you don't have to turn the volume all the way up. With that said, something that a lot of people choose to ignore is that the performance gain is usually so tiny it doesn't matter for listening.

If your amp can output 130mW of "clean" power (no distortions or noise) into your headphones and that's more than enough volume, there's no need to get a more powerful amp.

Dec 18, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #3 of 3
The basic idea behind using an amp that has a lot of output power is that if you crank your amp all the way up it's going to perform worse than if you just used like half the output power. People recommend using an amp that can output way more power than your headphones need so you don't have to turn the volume all the way up. With that said, something that a lot of people choose to ignore is that the performance gain is usually so tiny it doesn't matter for listening.

If your amp can output 130mW of "clean" power (no distortions or noise) into your headphones and that's more than enough volume, there's no need to get a more powerful amp.
Thank you for your reply. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back