What would happen if
May 21, 2004 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

MuZI

Headphoneus Supremus
If an ant was dropped from the top of the Empire State building, when it hits the gorund would be be crushed when it hits the bottom or would it withstand the force?

May 21, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 15
Kind of sadistic, but I think it'd would die--either from the force or by another way. Like being squeezed to death or death by fright or being stepped upon right after it landed.

May 21, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
Probably depends on the ant's terminal velocity.

Can we weigh it down with something?
very_evil_smiley.gif
..just kidding..
wink.gif

May 21, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 15
From an optimist's point of view, the ant could be carried by the wind as it fall, and land on top of another building or in some soft vegetation. Man, what a trip that would be.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 15
My prediction is it would survive the fall, but it would land inside one of those street hot dogs and immediately be poisoned.

May 21, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI
If an ant was dropped from the top of the Empire State building, when it hits the gorund would be be crushed when it hits the bottom or would it withstand the force?

OK, MuZi, when do you go back to school? You have entirely too much time on your hands, and finals ended only yesterday?
lambda.gif

BW

May 21, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 15
I don't think it would be able to on the top in the first place.

May 21, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
I don't think it would be able to on the top in the first place.

Pank, it had a bottle of Power Drink an hour before...
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #11 of 15
How did the ant get to the top of the building did he walk up the stairs or take the elevator? If the ant walked up to the top of the building it suggests he is a very fit ant so would probably survive the drop, Being lightweight he wouldn't hit the ground with any great force (much like a leaf falling off a tree) I reckon he would climb back up for another go.... it would be great fun for the ant.

May 21, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #12 of 15
Pink,

Since European ants are the most fit ants in the world, do you get ants flying down from trees and off the top of your house all day?

May 21, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 15
Yes, we do, it's a complete nightmare!! That's how certain south European women got a reputation for having mustaches...
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #14 of 15
mr Studio,
Now it all make sens. I ... understand
biggrin.gif
BTW, Poland is quiet in the south
tongue.gif

Hajime,
Why do you think the European Union exist? Together we're stonger and might be able to fight them back.

May 21, 2004 at 10:32 PM Post #15 of 15
Since nothing that is thrown off of the Empire State Building actually gets past the deck that's below the observation thingy, this would never happen. The wind created by the buidling itself chucks the stuff back at you...essentially that's what happens when the wind hits the side of the building and rushes upward...Discovery Channel is great
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back