What would happen if you were to connect 2 amps together? :P
Mar 31, 2013 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

thesuperguy

100+ Head-Fier
I recently got my hands on a second amp and it essentially renders my previous one obsolete. I was just wondering if there was any benefit/harm in running an audio signal via LOD across 2 amps instead of just one to the earphones? This is nevertheless quite impractical but I lost to my curiosity and just had to ask this question in case I might damage my amps/earphones.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
I recently got my hands on a second amp and it essentially renders my previous one obsolete. I was just wondering if there was any benefit/harm in running an audio signal via LOD across 2 amps instead of just one to the earphones? This is nevertheless quite impractical but I lost to my curiosity and just had to ask this question in case I might damage my amps/earphones.

more distortion I'd guess. I remember one of my friends (Panda Man) saying that a few of them worked like relays or something along those lines. 

Otherwise, there won't be harm. If you're worried, start the pot low to high. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 7
Don't do it, you can easily over drive your headphones, plus it is easy to distort the sound by double amping.

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 7
At first this sounded to me like a variation on a perpetual motion machine (2 motors hooked together, when supplied electricity one turns a gear, which in turn spins the gear on the second motor, which produces electricity when the gear is turned. It doesn't quite work, lol)

I thought, when reading the title, that you were using Y-splitter on the audio in, in an infinite loop. I really need more sleep. This wouldn't work even if I wanted it to.

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 7
Most likely you will run into clipping.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #7 of 7
Not the worst thing you could do, just keep gains and volume levels in check and it will be fine.  You are opening up the potential of impedance miss-matching though.
Its really nothing more than amp-ing a headphone output.  Since headphones operate on similar wattages as many preamp circuits, its similar to putting a preamp infront of an amp.  I use a darkvoice 337 as a preamp to feed a larocco PPA... not nearly as bad sounding as many would lead you to believe.  The PPA with OPA627s is a pretty dry sounding amp, and it has a wide soundstage that vacates center stage with my more ambient cans (K701, HD580).  The 337 as a preamp "rounds & fills out" midrange tones with even order THD, helps to fill in center stage.  With my lower impedance grados the PPA serves as a current buffer too, providing amps where the OTL tube circuit falls short. 

The only correct answer is to use your ears to form your opinion and guide you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back