What would be the best way to get balanced out from a Burson Conductor V2+
Aug 26, 2021 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

slair76116

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys I have an old Burson Conductor V2+, which has a SE headphone output, I'd like to use a XLR out for my LCD 3 headphones.

Conductor v2+

What's the best way to implement that? I was thinking of maybe buying a Toppings A90 AMP which maybe I could also pair with my Chord mojo? if thats possible also would be great

My budget is about USD $500

Thanks a lot

Aug 26, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 9
If your goal is to simply connect a 4-pin XLR plug to this amp, I'd get an adapter like this:

51-sEC0eF2L._AC_SL1500_ (1).jpg

It would still be driven single ended (shared ground for both drivers instead of separate inverse signals), but you wouldn't have to swap cables.

Aug 27, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 9
The plan is to get true Balanced out of an Amp, My burson has enough power but I tired my LCD's over balanced and they just sound better faster I would say...So I'm looking to use the DAC I already have and get a balanced out...whats the best way to go about doing that?

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 9
You can't just turn a single ended amp into a balanced one. You'd need a different amp. If I'm understanding you correctly.

I suppose it might be possible to take the balanced signal from the DAC, split it into its two phases, feeding two single ended amplifiers with it, and using both amp's + as the + and - in a custom headphone cable, but I'm not sure if that doesn't cause problems because you'd drop each amps ground.

But... this sounds like a fun experiment at best, not something people normally do.

Aug 28, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 9
The plan is to get true Balanced out of an Amp, My burson has enough power but I tired my LCD's over balanced and they just sound better faster I would say...So I'm looking to use the DAC I already have and get a balanced out...whats the best way to go about doing that?
I'm assuming you tried your LCD off another amp's balanced output? In that case you just preferred the sound of said amp over your conductor. Being balanced has nothing to do with making conductor sound better...

Aug 28, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 9
I did Think of that, and that could be the main reason, I do love very silent backgrounds hence I want to go balanced anyway, so all in all thats why I was wondering if the Toppings A90 will be a good option for me.

Aug 29, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 9
You could connect your Burson to a balanced amp(A90 for example) via the RCA. then you have a true balanced output to your headphones.
most amp nowadays would convert the single ended signal to balanced when you use the balanced out.

if you need a fully differential(balanced) signal in your rigs from source to end for whatever reasons, you need to ditch the Burson and get something else.

Aug 29, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 9
I did Think of that, and that could be the main reason, I do love very silent backgrounds hence I want to go balanced anyway, so all in all thats why I was wondering if the Toppings A90 will be a good option for me.
One of the down side effects off balanced drive is higher background noise since you are employing two amps so potentially double noise
Driving headphones balanced is different to balanced interconnect between components so there are a different set of pro/con

Users who are viewing this thread

Back