What would be the best portable headphones for me?
Jun 8, 2005 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gregr507

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have a rio karma but I'm still using the stock headphones. I listen to it fairly often so I would like something better. I don't really want to spend too much, under 50 dollars if possible but I could possibly go a bit higher if it is really worth it. I would prefer them to not be canalphones or anything like that because it's kind of nasty to share those if someone else wants to listen. Also I would prefer for them to leak as little sound as possible. Thanks for the help guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 12
Get some Grado SR-60s, then you can share your music with everyone
rs1smile.gif

Seriously though, only using one side of a pair of earphones is horrible, neither of you get to listen properly then
blink.gif
But if you must, Sennheiser MX450/500, Sony E888 or Beyerdynamic DJX-10/20 are pretty decent. The semi-canalphones such as the Sony EX71 and Panasonic RP-HJE50 offer better sound quality whilst not catching quite as much eargunk as proper IEMs, but YMMV
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 12
Going down the closed can value line, search for the

Sennheiser HD201 for a full-sized headphone ($2x)

Sennheiser MX400/450/500/550 series earbuds ($1x-2x)
some wisdom from fr4c regarding these:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ight=mx400+500

-

If semi-canalphone would be okay, the above mentioned Panasonics ($2x) sound great.

If isolation wasn't the key, the open Koss KSC-75 clipons ($1x-20) would trounce all above mentioned.

Jun 8, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 12
I don't know much about the other options, but the Sennheiser PX-100 sounds awesome to me, and it folds up very nicely. However, the PX-100s are sort of open and they leak quite a bit.

It might be good to keep in mind that, in general, open (tend to leak quite a bit) 'phones are supposed to sound better than closed (don't leak much) 'phones.

Jun 8, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 12
How much sound do those Koss phones actually leak, also how much do they let in? A lot of the time I listen to it when I am in the car with someone else driving and they have music on, so I don't really want to hear their music much. Also, are the Sharp Md33's earbuds, or do they actually go into the ear canal? I can't really tell from the pic. Thanks for the help
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregr507
How much sound do those Koss phones actually leak, also how much do they let in? A lot of the time I listen to it when I am in the car with someone else driving and they have music on, so I don't really want to hear their music much. Also, are the Sharp Md33's earbuds, or do they actually go into the ear canal? I can't really tell from the pic. Thanks for the help
smily_headphones1.gif

The Koss phones leak a lot if you're in a quiet car. They also let everything in - they're fully open cans.

The Sharp MD33s are canalphones, but they are "semi-canalphones" in my mind. They don't reach very deep at all, and have the same tips as the Sony EX series, Panasonic HJE50. .5 second insertion, and pretty good comfort, imo. Different story with real canalphones. It takes me like a minute to get my Shures on hah (I'm still in the process of getting used to them, I hope).

Jun 9, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 12
I also have a rio karma and the grado sr-60's would be such a great can for it! I use to use my grado sr60 with them until i sold them to a friend for $50 and upgraded to the grado rs-2's. They do leak a little bit of sound, but i swear it they are such good headphones for the price/perfomance ratio. GET THE SR-60!

Jun 9, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #10 of 12
people READ!!! PORTABLE, and NO CANALPHONES AND IN EARS!!!!!

Eggos? D66/D22?

and Grados? What? he doesn't want to look like a loser.
rs1smile.gif
<--- you want him to look like that?

eggosmile.gif
<--- or like that, oh yeah.

I'm an angry noob!!!!!!!!
mad.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 12
In ears are ok, I just would prefer no canal phones. Please keep any recomendations coming, I am trying to research them as you guys suggest them. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #12 of 12
If you're going to be listening in a car most of the time, closed is definitely for you. Tyll Hertsens of Headroom highly recommends the Sennheiser HD 201 (previously mentioned) as a screaming deal. If you're a basshead, the HD 212 is the perfect headphone for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back