what would be the best bang for the buck for listening to dubstep
Feb 29, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #16 of 34
so the seller backed out today, too bad i hadn't had cash and bought it yesterday. well looks like it's back to shopping, it's so confusing getting mixed results on what is good and is not. i have thought about it, and gave myself the go-ahead to spend a little bit more for it, but it must be built like a tank and have removable cables. i kill my 10 dollar headphones about every 4 months, so i figure if i can get about 5 years out of a pair of headphones, it is worth it. i want good bass, but not drowning everything else. i want inexpensive, but not cheap. i want strong, but not heavy. i want something that many members can agree on, and the full setup should be not much more than 100 dollars, and i want warranties where possible. i wanted the V-MODA crossfade lp's but i heard the sound is muddy. i am still eying them because they are build like a tank, but they leak audio too much, it's all so confusing getting mixed signals from different people. if any can point to a comfortable pair of cans that will be clear, have powerful, not overdone bass, contain most of the sound, and be most of all comfy. they must be durable and have removable cables, and i will be carrying them, so folding is nice, but not necessary. i think i will try and give the v-moda headphones a test run if they still have them at the fruit flavored electronics store. i am not quite an audiophile, i want general quality and clarity for a good price
i am sure you are wondering where dorothy and the three bears come in, to be specific, i want the little bear's cans that are "just right"
for the budget anyways

Mar 1, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #17 of 34
The little bear might be happy with Sennheiser HD439 (http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_hifi_wired-headphones_504765).

For the record, this is a complete shot in the dark. I have no personal experience with that Sennheiser model, but the HD439 would be my (deaf) choice within your $100 budget based on my good experience with the slightly higher-end HD558. If you're happy with them but want tighter, punchier bass, you can get a JDS Labs cMoyBB amp.

"Good" is all perception and subjective though, so take my advice with a grain of salt and don't set unrealistic expectations.
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #19 of 34

Quote:
The HD438 is actually rather terrible for dubstep because of its loose, uncontrolled bass. 

Ah. Well, I was referring to the newer HD439, but you've owned or, at least, auditioned the HD438? Did you try them with an amp? Just curious.

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #20 of 34
I was looking into those set of cans a few months ago, i believe the main reports were that the cans didn't create a good seal, so tons of bass leakage. people have reported when they put their hands and press the cans into their head for a better seal the bass becomes tighter and more lively, but i am not aware of many quick fixes. their are plenty of other headphones out their in your price range that going with one that's uncertain would not be a great idea. Also, I find the bass veiled on my 428S's unless I use an amp, and even then it's really lacking, even with hands over the cups. but of course they are all different models, 

Quote:
Ah. Well, I was referring to the newer HD439, but you've owned or, at least, auditioned the HD438? Did you try them with an amp? Just curious.

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #21 of 34
So basically, OP, everyone has their own opinions based off their preferences gained from experience. Unfortunately, the only way for you to discover what you like is to listen for yourself. Until then, I think the best approach you can take in deciding is an objective one. Maybe look at some graphs that measure frequency and square wave response and read some subjective reviews about them on the forums, then make a decision from there.

Check this page out: http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/about-headphone-measurements.php

Their site has many measurements of various headphones.
Good luck and let us know what you decide.
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #22 of 34
I have owned the HD448 and auditioned the HD438. Both had loose bass. The seal was indeed poor and caused the bass to leak, but even in a quiet environment, it was easy to hear that the bass lacks control and detail, it was just one huge farting mess. To this day I consider the HD448 to be the worst headphone-related waste of money in my history with this hobby.

I tried the HD448 with an amp as well, and there was no real improvement.

As far as I know, the new HD4*9 range is just a cosmetic update over the old range. Therefore, even though I haven't heard it, I can say with some certainty that it has the same loose bass as the old model. 

Quote:

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #23 of 34
Should have asked this earlier, but OP, what dubstep artists do you listen to?

Knowing if they are sub-bass full tunes or brostep tunes might help aid in finding you the right headphone

Mar 1, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #24 of 34

Quote:
I have owned the HD448 and auditioned the HD438. Both had loose bass. The seal was indeed poor and caused the bass to leak, but even in a quiet environment, it was easy to hear that the bass lacks control and detail, it was just one huge farting mess. To this day I consider the HD448 to be the worst headphone-related waste of money in my history with this hobby.

I tried the HD448 with an amp as well, and there was no real improvement.

As far as I know, the new HD4*9 range is just a cosmetic update over the old range. Therefore, even though I haven't heard it, I can say with some certainty that it has the same loose bass as the old model. 

Ah. Very interesting. I admit, I'm a little disappointed to hear this. I was considering the HD4*9 lineup for a new on-the-go headphone. Thanks for sharing.

Mar 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #25 of 34
Honestly, it looks like the headphone that you're looking for can't be found in the price bracket you're asking for.  I think you should consider just bumping up a tier to get a pair of truly great headphones that will last you for life - the V-Moda M-80 seems to be exactly what you're looking for, based on what you're asking.  The HD-25-1 ii would be a solid choice too.  They have removable cables and won't ever break.

Mar 1, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #26 of 34
I second the V moda LPs. They are 100 dollars on amazon and will likely never ever break on you. They come with a lifetime warranty and detachable cable. The bass is tight and they are semi open but they certainly don't "leak" much at all. Unless your going to play music at over 90% volume, no one will hear a thing. To your ears, they will not sound muddy at all. In fact, you will be very impressed with them and think they are the clearest headphones you've ever auditioned judging from the fact that you listen to $10 ear buds. They are far from muddy but also far from cold and calculating, which i suppose makes them fun sounding and perfect for dubstep. Some say the highs aren't pronounced but you probably won't notice. The highs also pop out more after some burning in.

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #27 of 34
The XB500 would kind of ruin some synth parts. People tend to associate bassy music with bassy headphones, which seems obvious, but most dubstep already has so much bass that is just becomes a jungle of sub-200Hz when you pair it with something as the XB500.

No one suggested the M50s? I'm shocked.

I second in getting the Creative Aurvana Live. Simply no match in price-quality.

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #28 of 34
thanks for the suggestions, i have been looking into the crossfade lp's and it seems i am buying a pair for a neive aqquaintance, for profit! before getting them to him i'm going to burn them in before making a final decision. it looks like i may get a headphone amp, but i may not need one. i have the nano 6 which seems to have a good amp. as far as the music i listen to, it is dubstep that encompasses lots of doctor p and flux pavillion, i basically love any song on UKF. i also listen to the glitch mob, Ronald Jenkees, and SKRIllEX, so it is a smorgisborg of music that is heavily supported by bass, but still utilizes treble and mid. if only there was a way to have a custom EQ on the nano 6. i will try and find the graphs of these headphones, and see if it fits my preferances.

Mar 3, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #29 of 34
so i ordered the crossfade lp's yesterday, waiting on the mail and will let you know what i think after a good burn-in session. they seemed to be just what i was looking for, and at a reasonable price. i may need an amp for some tighter bass, but i will see when i get them.

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #30 of 34
I personally think you will like them..there isnt tons of love for them on here, and Im not sure why.  They sure as hell outperform the beats line if youre looking for that sound sig, and are only 100 bucks.  For dubstep/hip hop, I really enjoy mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back