What would be natural upgrade from HD800?
May 19, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #17 of 31
Arya Organic has nearly equivalent soundstage, less wide but taller.
Bass quantity, extension and dynamics are improvement, vocals have more attack.
Only thing that Organic can be too bright which it was for me, high treble is really elevated.

When i've had HD800 i did all the tricks, mods and tips to make it "rock" headphone but eventually decided to move to other products, anyways ill hold HD800 in high regard.

May 20, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #18 of 31
I just have to respectfully disagree with all the ''you can get the good bass from HD800 by EQing it'' posters. To my years thats not possible. Its lacking by nature and EQ cant make it good. HD800 has the worst bass by far of all the cans I have/had (HE-6, Empy, DT1990, HD660s2, Elear, Music Masters) Again, for me. Maybe high end tube amp could be where it is but Im not in a market for such purchase at this time. Hot summer coming and everything :)
Its definetely time to move on from these. If someone in EU area is interested of my HD800 you can PM me. My ads dont seem to create lots of interest in a small local Finnish market.

With HE-6 having problem with highs as stated above: Yes absolutely. I did the fuzzor mod for that, changed open grills, and also have some EQ tweaks. Never noticed middle image being small but now listening yeah I guess thats right! Definitely hasnt ever bothered me though. I do have +7dB bass shelf for it too, very intense listening experience.

It has become a bit difficult choice between HE1000SE and Arya Organic. They could be somewhat close in listening experience but with Arya one could save around 700 but then again with the HE1000 there is that 3 year warranty that would put my mind to rest knowing possible Hifiman QC issues!

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #19 of 31
I was in the same situation, moved up to the HE1000SE, no regrets. It's great all-rounder, and at the current pricing it's hard to find a significantly better option at that price bracket.
Really happy with it and it solved the issues I personally had with the HD800S sound signature. I had to EQ the HD800s to my liking while HE1000SE is good as-is (to my preference).

May 20, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #20 of 31
I just have to respectfully disagree with all the ''you can get the good bass from HD800 by EQing it'' posters. To my years thats not possible. Its lacking by nature and EQ cant make it good. HD800 has the worst bass by far of all the cans I have/had (HE-6, Empy, DT1990, HD660s2, Elear, Music Masters) Again, for me. Maybe high end tube amp could be where it is but Im not in a market for such purchase at this time. Hot summer coming and everything
Bass consists of several elements - the ones you seem to value are as you have found not the strong suit of the HD-800S.
Its definetely time to move on from these. If someone in EU area is interested of my HD800 you can PM me. My ads dont seem to create lots of interest in a small local Finnish market.

With HE-6 having problem with highs as stated above: Yes absolutely. I did the fuzzor mod for that, changed open grills, and also have some EQ tweaks. Never noticed middle image being small but now listening yeah I guess thats right! Definitely hasnt ever bothered me though. I do have +7dB bass shelf for it too, very intense listening experience.
I cannot imagine the HE-6 (6 screw I assume) at +7 db bass shelf, in order to get full dynamics at volume (say 100 db @ 1k), you've got to have what 8+ wpc@50 ohms
It has become a bit difficult choice between HE1000SE and Arya Organic. They could be somewhat close in listening experience but with Arya one could save around 700 but then again with the HE1000 there is that 3 year warranty that would put my mind to rest knowing possible Hifiman QC issues!
Why not the HEK Stealth? It's got more bass (esp mid bass than the SE), and its only a few bucks more than the Arya. The Arya's I know (3) do not match the HEK Stealth or SE in sonics - although they have a certain aggressive sound that does suggest the HE-6 6 screw more than the HEK/Susvara models which are a bit smoother. If you can check them out.

BTW what amp(s) are you using?

May 21, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #21 of 31
I've driven an 800S off a benchmark ABH2. It's still not a good pairing for bass heads IMO.
The funny thing is Hd800s has more bass then other bassoriented open headphones. Its the lack of impact that make it appear anemic.

May 21, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #23 of 31
The funny thing is Hd800s has more bass then other bassoriented open headphones. Its the lack of impact that make it appear anemic.

Let me ask. To you what does impact mean? To me its rise time/snap like say a HE-6 screw - to some it's the sustain and volume - like a bass cannon closed back dynamic.

I agree it does lack impact (by either definition) - and cans such as a HE-500, HE-6 SE, and less so ZMF Auteur are below the water line per Harman - but the character of those 3 stock, not to mention how they take PEQ does clearly top the 800 S. That's partially solved by an OTL and a little PEQ - but agreed - even w/ those things its still soft. But the bigger problem to me is the mid timbre - esp on a typical SS amp isn't as good as the HD-600 (try solo piano). Still the soundstage is something to be impressed by.

May 22, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #24 of 31
Depending on what genres you listen to, there might not currently be an upgrade. Different sound, sure. Had the Utopia OG - maybe more detailed and impactful, but REALLY small soundstage, like sitting 50 rows back in an outdoor venue. Also slightly plasticky sounding. I recently had HE1000se - more sub-bass, but weirdly flat/distant/boring sounding mids in my system. Traded that in for a Susvara, and even that, for all it's very real advantages in technicalities, does not necessarily make for a BETTER experience. The HD800S still sounds ever so slightly more natural and real. And I think the bass might actually be more present on the 800 (not positive about that though). It's not perfect, but there's trade-offs in every headphone.

Mind you, I find the Senns to be maybe the most picky of upstream components. I've heard it in systems where I flat out did not like the sound. But it improved the most of any headphone I've had with a synergistic system.

So I guess, my 2 cents is the natural upgrade from HD800 is HD800 with a better amp and DAC :) All to my ears, in my system, etc etc.

Or, judging by the complaint about bass, just get HE1000se. Bam, more bass. Nothing else to worry about.

May 25, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #25 of 31
HE1000SE vs HD800s: more bass and more treble, but that can also be distracting, I prefer the HD800, which is more balanced. The stage is big with both, but different, I prefer the HD800s again. What I have learned from this comparison is, that more is not necessarily better.

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #26 of 31
S of course

May 25, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #27 of 31
I didn't feel that HE1000V2 was an upgrade over HD800 as far as bass and overall tonality goes. It was improvement on technicalities, but it felt even "drier" than HD800, would never thought it's possible. HD800 bass when properly amped is fine, if you are looking for bass cannon you won't get details and soundstage.
HE6SE can give you good details and more bass (if you can amp it), but not the details level of Senns and pretty compact soundstage.
Seems like Audeze LCD-X 2021 fell out of favor here as wasn't mentioned once, but it can be the departure from HD800 you are looking for.

May 25, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #28 of 31
The Hifiman HE1000 series are great headphones wirh a wide soundstage, very good bass (quality and quantity) and very high detail. I would say the HE1000V2 does come clos to the HD800 kind of sound sig.

May 25, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #29 of 31
I didn't feel that HE1000V2 was an upgrade over HD800 as far as bass and overall tonality goes. It was improvement on technicalities, but it felt even "drier" than HD800, would never thought it's possible. HD800 bass when properly amped is fine, if you are looking for bass cannon you won't get details and soundstage.
HE6SE can give you good details and more bass (if you can amp it), but not the details level of Senns and pretty compact soundstage.
Seems like Audeze LCD-X 2021 fell out of favor here as wasn't mentioned once, but it can be the departure from HD800 you are looking for.
A 800 S on a good SS amp does not have more detail (not talking spatial cues) to match the HEK SE or Stealth. Thee v2 is a little gauzier and the 800 S on a good OTL amp tops it easily in def, and its close with Stelath and behind the SE - all IMO of course.

One thing not mentioned in this thread is most of the long cup HFM have soundstages that are too tall vs wide per recording. Also in terms of placing instruments in soundstage the 800 S is better than any HEK or HEX. Like a Magnepan the HFM's throw a large stage, but for intimate recordings they do not scale down - the V2 is the most obvious at this - a quartet takes up the space of huge orchestra. But for small scale or exact location of something in a septet - the 800 or 800S is just better than the HFM's.

However un-eq'd on your basic 4 wpc@50 ohm SS amp, the Stealth has better timbre than the 800S - in fact the HD-600 (on an OTL) is better at midrange timbre than all the ones I've mentioned here - if that matters. Properly set PEQ's can largely erase that.

This is why few can get everything they want out of one headphone. C'est la guerre.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #30 of 31
A 800 S on a good SS amp does not have more detail (not talking spatial cues) to match the HEK SE or Stealth. Thee v2 is a little gauzier and the 800 S on a good OTL amp tops it easily in def, and its close with Stelath and behind the SE - all IMO of course.
HE1000V2 is a step up in details, but other than that is just a side step from HD800S, as on grand scale the tonality is essentially the same, if not even more analytical and dry.
HE6SE might have better bass and overall a better all arounder IMHO, but details and soundstage are not as great as either HD800 or HE1000V2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back