What would be considered Audio Technica's best closed back headphone?
Sep 21, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #19 of 20
I love my AWKT’s

Attachments

• AB0A6E9E-9DCD-4080-B5AD-B9ADBE6D8D61.jpeg
    AB0A6E9E-9DCD-4080-B5AD-B9ADBE6D8D61.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Sep 22, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #20 of 20
My ultimate workhorses are the legacy M50. Not the M50X though 'cause I dislike their sound. They've ruined the mids considerably and boosted the highs and lows to the point of pain and mud respectively.

But damn, I love my legacy M50! I have never heard such a natural and close to real life sound in all high-end headphones, although I own quite a few, including LCD-X, Arya and so on. I'm not complaining about the resolution of the M50, it's much more resolving than it costs.

I'm currently buying up all used M50s regardless of wear and tear, because I accept the fact that they have been discontinued in 2014 which is quite a long time ago for them to be in good shape in 2022, especially if someone kept using them. The only thing that matters is the drivers. The M50 contained the HD-125B driver, which is now the Holy Grail. They changed it to HD-125E in M50X version and HD-125H in Bluetooth version. What I usually do is take the legacy M50 drivers and solder them into the M50X chassis, sometimes just sew on a new headband in place of the old one, and ask my local Audio Technica office for a used left ear cup where the connector is. And put some new ear pads bought in China, only they must be exactly the same shape, size and materials as the factory ones. Otherwise, the sound will be ruined.

For now I have four pairs, two of them being used every day in my home studio and on the go, with or without my FiiO BTA10 bluetooth adapter:
20220824_184222.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back