What would be an upgrade to the M50 within the Audio Technica line?
May 24, 2010 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

The Fire Snake

Head-Fier
I am assuming the audio techinca has a house sound and the M50 have them?  If I liked the M50 and wanted a noticible and significant upgrade, what should be my next audio technica can?

May 24, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 16
Audio Technica, according to all reports, does not have a house sound. See the comments about how the AD2000, AD1000 and AD900 differ, or even the ESW10JN and ES10.

May 24, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
es10 would suit your needs? better than m50 in every way

can you be more specific..? I also have the M50 and i think they are truly amazing considering their price.  so i maybe consider to get another ATH some day.

Quote:
Audio Technica, according to all reports, does not have a house sound. See the comments about how the AD2000, AD1000 and AD900 differ, or even the ESW10JN and ES10.

yeah..the AD700 AD900 supposed to be bass light no..?  and the M50 are abslutely not bass light. 

May 24, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #5 of 16
2rooi123! Is you again repeating over and over "es10 is better"! What a surprise. If you make another 20 pages thread just repeating that sentence without more information I think I'm going to add you to my ignore list.

You should be muted... you posts are like spam.
confused_face_2.gif

May 24, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
es10 would suit your needs? better than m50 in every way

Maybe it's cool in your circle of friends to brag about your possessions, but on head-fi that's of zero help without detail. A 'can maybe an improvement in some areas, but its overall sound signature does not appeal to the OP, then it won't be something he should buy. What's more, the OP is a HD650 + EC/SS user - a great setup, and he knows a bit about sound. And 'in every way' - what I've heard is that the ES10 has a V-shaped frequency response, and the M50 more flat. Maybe the OP isn't looking for a V.

May 25, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #8 of 16
I didn't know that the ATH don't have a house sound.  So far I am hearing W1000X?  I really like the sound of the M50 but I would like to know which ATH has that sound but better(i.e. better clarity in the highs and mids etc).  Isn't the W1000X out of production?  I would have to buy it used correct?  Thanks.

May 25, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 16
I've not heard the higher end ATs but I can say that the M50 is a unique headphone in the Audiotechnica lineup. I've compared it to the AD700, the A900 and the ESW9 and they don't sound anything alike. 

If you want an upgrade to the M50, as in retaining the general sound concept of the M50 but better, you might want to look to other brands.

You mentioned more clarity in the mids and highs... I sound like a broken record saying this but I tried the Shure SRH750 DJs and I found they are like an M50 with improved mids and highs and a slightly smoother and deeper bass. I am still trying to acquire an SRH750 to do extensive listening tests so don't take my word on this just like that for now, but if you can test out the SRH750 take the chance, you might find what you are looking for.

May 25, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #10 of 16
jeez Fire Snake, you do some weird research 
tongue.gif
 W1000X is entirely in production, maybe the W1000 isn't, but Mochan has a point - every AT is different, look around. What are you actually looking for? What you didn't get from the HD650? Bass extension? Brighter sound signature?

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
jeez Fire Snake, you do some weird research 
tongue.gif
 W1000X is entirely in production, maybe the W1000 isn't, but Mochan has a point - every AT is different, look around. What are you actually looking for? What you didn't get from the HD650? Bass extension? Brighter sound signature?

I don't see it on the Audio Technica's USA site.  I really like the sound of my M50s.  I figured a higher end Audio Technica headphone would sound even better, but retain the same house sound, but if they all sound different then I don't know.  I am amazed how nice the M50's sound to my ears, I look forward to putting them on each day and the music sounds exciting.  I listen to mostly Progressive House music(electronic) these days.  I am experimenting with a bunch of different cans to see which I will like.  I am using my M50's as works cans out of my IPOD.  My plan is to have a high end setup at home.  Thererfore, I bought the HD650.  I have no complaint about the bass on either the 650 or M50, they both have plenty enough for me and is fine.  The reason I tried the HD650 for electronica music was I thought that they would reveal a lot of detail(ex: background sound effects, voices, wispers etc).  They do reveal a lot of detail but they sound very dry, analytical and kind of boring.  Most people reccomend cans for electronic music by how much bass they have.  Like I said both cans have plenty of bass, I just want more of the other frequencies.

Jun 2, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #12 of 16
That's why you don't go to offical websites.
tongue.gif
 The Audio Technica operations in the US are pretty small and quiet, Audio Technica HK/China or UK is much more active... 

I'm not the most knowledgeable in electronica, sometimes I'll drag out a demo CD or two, but I see a lot of people getting headphones with medium bass quantity or even bright but great bass punch and extension, and maybe that's where the HD650 felt lacking to you. A lot of people like the ESW10JPN for electronica, but not W1000X, too dark, seeing the kind of detail you want, I'd look into something brighter, less bass emphasizes the details, like AD2000 or maybe Sony SA5000. Some people like the Denons for electronica, I'm personally not convinced they're anything special. 

Jun 2, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 16
Following the line on the Audio technica's i found difficult to find an upgrade for the M50's. Well Imo....

Jun 2, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
Following the line on the Audio technica's i found difficult to find an upgrade for the M50's. Well Imo....

so you are saying that if i want to have the same sound sig of the M50 but improve on it i will not find it in the audio techniace line?   in that case,this is another thumb up for the M50.

Jun 2, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
so you are saying that if i want to have the same sound sig of the M50 but improve on it i will not find it in the audio techniace line?   in that case,this is another thumb up for the M50.

You are right, unless another guy here could show us a nice upgrade for it...the M50's are great cans. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back