What would be a true upgrade from Grado SR-80?
Jul 20, 2007 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

pearljam5000

500+ Head-Fier
i'm looking for an upgrade in the 300$ region.
i want more bass and more clarity and details mainly.
for about a year or so i would be using them only with my Harman Kardon reciver,because i dont have any $$$ at the moment,so no amp at this time,until i get a job
tongue.gif

after reading tons of threads,i am considering,AKG K-701,Beyerdynamic DT-990,Sennheiser Hd-650,i listen mainly to rock,but want headphones that will not be good just with rock like the SR-80,because i listen to alot of other things as well.
which one will be the best for me?
i know each can has it's own weakness:
1.K-701,no bass at all,hard to drive(will a reciver be able to drive it?)
2.HD-650,hard to drive,to laid back for rock.
3.DT-990,mids covered by bass to much.
so i can't decide....

Jul 20, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 22
I don't know which H/K receiver you have, but I wouldn't count on it doing well with anything but easy to drive cans. I suggest going with the HD595. It is easy to drive, sounds good with a variety of music and holds its resale value well if in the future you decide to upgrade.

Edit:
Since you're coming from the SR80 (which I did not like), you may prefer the SR325i to the HD595. I'm more of a Senn guy but the $300 Grado may be what you're looking for.

Jul 20, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 22
My old receiver can drive my 250 ohm DT990s adequately. If you can find a pair of 32 ohm ones you should be good. After a while it doesn't seem like the mids are completely covered by the mids, and you could possibly use EQ/bass adjustment on your receiver (if it has these controls) to adjust the sound.

I think you'll notice more of a difference in sound quality if you try a different sound signature rather than just moving further up in the Grado line.

Jul 20, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 22
I find that my older Onkyo receiver does a great job with both my HD600 and MS2i. As a matter of fact the HD600 is even a little easier to drive than the MS2i, with this particular amp.

....yeah; that was a surprise!

If you like the more forward presentation of the SR-80 but would like something that plays from rock through light Classical, you may want to take a look at the more-neutral-than-your-average-Grado MS2i. They sell for $299 with free shipping all over the planet from the Alessandro web site.

From the Classical side; I find that the more laid-back HD600 does most everything well from the big classical stuff right on into classic rock.

Jul 20, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 22
I'd keep an eye out for an HF-1 or used RS-2. The 325i will give you details and clarity in spades. As far as sheer amount of bass between the 80s and the 325is, I'm still working on that. The HD600 has lots more bass and is pretty detailed. One can that intrigues me but I haven't heard is the K601. They can be had for $200 and there have been some comparisons between that and the HD600.

Jul 20, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 22
SR325i bass comes pretty close to PS1. Not the same of course, but definitely stronger than on RS2 or RS1, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd keep an eye out for an HF-1 or used RS-2. The 325i will give you details and clarity in spades. As far as sheer amount of bass between the 80s and the 325is, I'm still working on that. The HD600 has lots more bass and is pretty detailed. One can that intrigues me but I haven't heard is the K601. They can be had for $200 and there have been some comparisons between that and the HD600.

Jul 20, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 22
Good to know,because i like bass.
to me music without enough bass just doesnt sound like real music,i don't get why most people here don't like alot of bass...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR325i bass comes pretty close to PS1. Not the same of course, but definitely stronger than on RS2 or RS1, IMO.

Jul 20, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 22
I personally don't think the K701 has no bass at all. It's a "controlled", very deep bass indeed, but it's there and i think it sounds awesome.

Talking about Grados, i've just received Todd's Flat pads and now my RS-1 is a bass monster ...
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back