What would be a minimal vinyl setup?
Apr 30, 2007 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

pheonix991

500+ Head-Fier
As stated above, what is a minimal vinyl setup? I know you should have a phono preamp, and I'm sure there are other things, but, what is the ABSOLUTE minimal setup you need for a vinyl setup? I want to start out small, and build up as I get more money. I don't even have an amp yet, and I've almost been here for a year!!!

Apr 30, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 18
You can get a decent used TT and phono-preamp at just about any price range. There are few things you can do to make it sound very good for long time; learn to calibrate your equipment, be patient..it takes some time, and another sound advice was given already...keep your records (and needle) clean
biggrin.gif
Everything in terms of hardware is purely your preference and budget...good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep your records clean.

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by pheonix991 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As stated above, what is a minimal vinyl setup? I know you should have a phono preamp, and I'm sure there are other things, but, what is the ABSOLUTE minimal setup you need for a vinyl setup? I want to start out small, and build up as I get more money. I don't even have an amp yet, and I've almost been here for a year!!!

That would be a USB Turntable.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by insidiousness /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be a USB Turntable.
rolleyes.gif

don't buy one of these they are very poorly built and therefore will sound cheap and plasticky. USB connectivity is just a gimmick on a turntable.

I am assuming when you say 'minimalist' you mean for smallest possible outlay rather than ergonomically, as vinyl requires time and space isn't something you can just throw in a drawer like last years MP3 player when you arn't using it.

The best way to get into vinyl on the cheap is to go for a vintage deck from the heyday of vinyl, rather than a modern entry level audiophile offering in the niche market it has become today, or a cheap cash-in on the perceived vinyl Renaissance, like that USB deck or most of the stuff on Amazon for under 500USD.

I made a list of good quality entry level decks that you should be able to pick up for under 100USD which on the whole require minimal effort to set up.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ghlight=budget

While you're at it look out for a vintage reciever or integrated amplifier from Pioneer, Marantz, Rotel, Nad, Sansui etc which will be already set up for vinyl (include a phonostage).

Check parents and neighbours attics and basements, yard sales and flea markets as there is loads of this stuff out there and you'll probably come accross loads of dirt cheap records while your're at it
lambda.gif

Add to this a new cartridge for around 40USD and a few cleaning products and you're good to go.

Apr 30, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 18
Thanks for the info guys. I found one of those on ebay for around $40, I can't remember which one though. But, thanks for the help. When I start to get some money, I'll be sure to show everyone!

May 1, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #7 of 18
The turntable isn't what will cost you a ton of money. It's the actual vinyl if you want more modern, popular music.

May 1, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #8 of 18
vintage vintage vintage

May 1, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The turntable isn't what will cost you a ton of money. It's the actual vinyl if you want more modern, popular music.

Yeah, arn't the tool albums really costly?

Also, I think I'm going to build a dedicated vintage setup, what kind of receiver should I pick up cheap? I'm looking at the marantz ones on ebay.

May 1, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 18
i have a marantz and the phono stages in those receivers will do you just fine until you get a beefier phono stage either through a dedicated phono preamp or otherwise.

May 1, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Also, I think I'm going to build a dedicated vintage setup, what kind of receiver should I pick up cheap? I'm looking at the marantz ones on ebay.

The classic Marantz recievers are very slick. Some Sansui and Pioneer models of the late 70's also looked very nice.

If you want something that looks kinda classic but is brand new, you could consider a Pioneer A-35R Integrated Amp. I might pick one of those up soon to replace the cheap-o receiver I've been using.

May 1, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Yes
frown.gif
I have all of them, except for Ænima, which I am looking to get. I think I have found one, but it looks like it is going to cost me a cool $300
frown.gif
frown.gif

May 1, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes
frown.gif
I have all of them, except for Ænima, which I am looking to get. I think I have found one, but it looks like it is going to cost me a cool $300
frown.gif
frown.gif

CRAZY!!! Can't justify that...

Thanks for the help guys.

May 1, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #15 of 18
I suggest you save your cash and get a very good entry level table. I would also suggest you look at the used market. You can get a lot of turntable on the used market. I would recommend you at LEAST get a Thorens TD160. The ultimate would be a Thorens TD124 or a Garrard 301/401.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back