What would be a good upgrade from Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers?
Jan 13, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #16 of 31
I like the way my pro media 2.1 sounds. I can hear more trebble coming out of the speakers. the a2 seems I can mostly hear is bass coming from them on everything i hear. I guess it's because it has a sub the bass gets routed to the sub. I'm thinking i'd like the bx5a because they're monitors and people say they sound neutral. I guess i'll have to go into stores and test them out with a cd.

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #17 of 31
Yea a 2.1 works by sending frequences lower than 150hz to the sub, i guess the A2's have boosted bass responce, yes the bx5a are studio moniters so will be as netrual as possible there will be no boosted bass.

Jan 13, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #18 of 31
I think speaker placement might be the problem - how do you have the AE2s placed?

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #19 of 31
I tried different placement on the desk, and on the upper shelf of the desk and it wasn't the placement. I think it was the boosted bass like the one guy said. Everything had bass in it, the voices in music, windows sounds, games. I really have 2 possible ways to put the speakers. On the main desk surface there's a space to fit a monitor and i put my speakers behind the monitor or on top theres a shelf but it's over my head about 6-8 inches and it sounds much better when i stand up than when i sit down.

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #20 of 31

Quote:
I tried different placement on the desk, and on the upper shelf of the desk and it wasn't the placement. I think it was the boosted bass like the one guy said. Everything had bass in it, the voices in music, windows sounds, games. I really have 2 possible ways to put the speakers. On the main desk surface there's a space to fit a monitor and i put my speakers behind the monitor or on top theres a shelf but it's over my head about 6-8 inches and it sounds much better when i stand up than when i sit down.

Seriously, bass reinforcement from nearby walls or other objects can be a major problem.  Behind your monitor is probably in one of those locations...

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #22 of 31
I feel like the 2.1 doesn't really have deep bass. There's just a huge midbass hump that never goes away even if the "subwoofer" is turned all the way down.

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #23 of 31
Hi
Here is Focal
http://www.xs-focal.com/

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #24 of 31
Place the A2's right at the front of the desk, i assume this is the furtherest away from the wall you can get them, if there is no change in sound then send them back, they do most probley have boosted bass "fake bass" to composate for there tiny drivers.

The focals are nice, just don't look at the price.

Jan 13, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #25 of 31
Based on the desk it looks like you may not be able to get the speakers far enough away from the back and side walls to avoid too much bass reinforcement.  And yeah, I've heard they do have an upper bass boost to attempt to make up for the lack of real bass.  I don't like the bass from cheap 2.1 systems either...

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #27 of 31
I have the Audioengine A2 and I love them, I didn't when I first got them because I was expecting "awesome and punchy".  It had to be broken in and it needs some equaliser adjustment to control the thick bass and make them tighter.  It does use Kevlar materials for its little subwoofer, that's gotta count for something!  The A2 is punchy and can hold its own against a lot of speakers and even headphones.  The fact that I can still pack these in my case without weighing a ton is a great benefit.

Headphones may be the way to go for portable music, but for me I prefer the sound stage and natural sound travel coming from speakers.  Since I use the computer mostly for playing music the A2 is great and it's good enough for movies as well.

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #28 of 31
Regarding bass PMC64, did you try isolating the speakers from the surfaces they sat on? If your speakers are pumping bass out directly onto wooden shelves or desktops then a load of the low-end is going to be travelling through whatever it's sitting on, which will automatically make everything sound more bloated.

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #30 of 31
do what I did...I bought one piece at a time and built a rather nice 5.1 setup.

Get a receiver and two of the best fronts you can buy. 

Then buy the sub...

Then buy the center...

Then buy the rears...

Voila!  Ended up costing me about $2500-3000 USD for the 5.1 but it was worth it. 

While I had the Promedia (and they were nice as a start) you have a whole realm of great speakers to choose from.  I stood in the Klipsch family and use their Reference Series as the basis for my home theater.  I love their Tactrix horn for the highs...most find it harsh but I find it detailed!  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back